Living in a caravan all year round

Old April 23rd 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David W.E. Roberts

Default Living in a caravan all year round

Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job is too
far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan, and come
home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and then to
get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to be seasonal.

Are there many sites which operate over the winter?

I am looking for sites near Basingstoke - any reommendations?

Summer would be fun, but winter may be a bit grim if the site doesn't have a
heated toilet block :-(

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Dave R

Old April 23rd 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job
is too far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and
move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan,
and come home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and
then to get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to
be seasonal.

Are there many sites which operate over the winter?

I am looking for sites near Basingstoke - any reommendations?

Summer would be fun, but winter may be a bit grim if the site doesn't
have a heated toilet block :-(

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Dave R

The nearest Caravan Club site appears to be Morn Hill, just outside
Winchester - but that's only open from March to September.

There appear to be a couple of CL's within a few miles of Basingstoke which
are open all year, both just off the M3, but in opposite directions. I say
"appear" because CLs come and go - and this may not be bang up-to-date
information. FWIW, the information which I have is:

E. CHAMPION, ALBION HOUSE, HOOK RD, NORTH WARNBOROUGH, BASINGSTOKE RG25 1EU
[Tel:~01256 702082] 2ac, open all year: 4, 20 w.

MR & MRS R. J. ALBIN, VICARAGE FARM, WODMANCOTE, WINCHESTER S021 3BL
[Tel:~01256 397616 or 397220] Pt 1ac, pt sl, poss sheep on site, clay pigeon
shooting adj occas, open all year, no dogs, 3.50, 21 w.

I would suggest that you try to make your van as self-contained as
possible - with its own toilet and washing facilities to avoid having to use
freezing toilet blocks in the middle of winter.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old April 23rd 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:53:03 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job is too
far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan, and come
home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

Not currently, but I have done so often in the past.

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and then to
get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to be seasonal.

There are many sites where going home each weekend would be enough,
particularly if you can get the 'van into storage somewhere over the
weekend.

Are there many sites which operate over the winter?

I am looking for sites near Basingstoke - any reommendations?

The nearest full sites which I know of that are open all year (and I
did this in Basingstoke for 15 months) are the C&CC site at Chertsey,
or a site at Andover, both of which are 20-30 miles away.

The site at Chertsey is nicer and cheaper, but they were starting to
introduce restrictions on that type of use last time I was there. I'm
not sure what the current restrictions are.

There is a storage site just outside Basingstoke, where I used to keep
mine at weekends. The Chertsey site has storage facilities, but they
have to be booked for 6 months at a time.

Old April 24th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job is too
far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan, and come
home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and then to
get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to be seasonal.

Are there many sites which operate over the winter?

I am looking for sites near Basingstoke - any reommendations?

Summer would be fun, but winter may be a bit grim if the site doesn't have a
heated toilet block :-(

Any advice welcomed.

I and my son had to live in our caravan from October 04 to February 05
this winter past. the most useful piece of equipment was a dehumidifier,
we ran it 24/7 and it kept us fairly dry and the caravan was warmed, the
van heater was an openflued beast which we DID NOT use, 4 way extension
leads were in great demand. Make sure your bedding is up to cold weather
and your water supply is ok, we survived with out aqua roll outside
feeding through a carver filter, if you have time to set it up make sure
your waste pipe is rigid pipe with no dips, we didn't and we backed up a
couple of times when the waste water froze up. Join the caravaning
clubs and they make it easy to find all year sites, book early for the
Christmas and new year as the sites fill up very quickly, some sites
have 14 day licences, some 21, 28 and 56 day, good luck with it all.
Martin

Old April 24th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job is

too
far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan, and

come
home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and then to
get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to be seasonal.

Are there many sites which operate over the winter?

I am looking for sites near Basingstoke - any reommendations?

Summer would be fun, but winter may be a bit grim if the site doesn't have

heated toilet block :-(

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks for the pointers so far - very useful.

I would prefer to be able to put up an awning for the summer months but
moving each weekend would make this too much like hard work.

The CLs sound like a good prospect despite their lack of facilities - I plan
to get a van will all facilities, but try not to use them too much.

My work place has a shower, so potentially I can ablute there.

Off around next weekend to investigate.

Cheers

Dave R

Old April 24th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

for the next year or so I will be living away from home - my new job is

too
far to commute and it is not convenient to sell the house and move.

One option I am considering is to live all year round in a caravan, and

come
home at weekends.

Is anyone on this NG currently doing this?

I understand that I will have to move between sites every now and then

get over the residency restrictions, but most sites seem to be seasonal.

snip

Thanks for the pointers so far - very useful.

I would prefer to be able to put up an awning for the summer months but
moving each weekend would make this too much like hard work.

The CLs sound like a good prospect despite their lack of facilities - I

plan
to get a van with all facilities, but try not to use them too much.

My work place has a shower, so potentially I can ablute there.

Off around next weekend to investigate.

Looking pretty good - now I can see where the CLs are the prospects are
improving.
[See other thread]

Costs look to be roughly 4/night or 8/night with electric hookup. (120 to
240 per month).

This compares favourably to renting a one bedroomed flat at 600 per month.
Marginally better than sharing a 2 bedroom house at 350-400 a month when
you factor in 500 per month (over an 18 month period) for the purchase and
maintenance of a really good outfit, and I would prefer to be independant.
Barring another major housing boom, it knocks spots off buying a house.

Had my first look at modern large caravans and I think a Bailey Senator
Wyoming is a pretty good fit, and hopefully likely to hold its value quite
well.

Any suggestions for other 'fixed bed' caravans would obviously be welcome.

I am probably going to have to upgrade my towcar - my Volvo 760 Turbo Estate
will pull it but at well less than 20mpg so the cost in fuel over the 18
month period (including non-towing commutes) will probably justify buying a
second hand diesel towcar of some sort.

Again, suggestions for a good 'tug' in which to do 500 miles a week at
40mpg+ (not towing) would be welcome.
Car, estate, 4*4, pickup truck all considered.
White van, perhaps?
[Would I have to buy a whippet?]

My Pug 504 TD does me fine for the commuting but is too light to be stable
towing a very large van.
Rated at 1200kg maximum, and the Wyoming is 1360kg before you put anything
in it.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. my more expensive option under consideration is to buy a narrow boat -
but where to moor it??