Living with an Al-KO stabilising hitch...

Old April 24th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Danny

Default Living with an Al-KO stabilising hitch...

Some of you may remember my posts regarding weaving in my setup - a
Jeep Cherokee towing a largish espresso/catering trailer. Although
the trailer is within the towing capacity of the Jeep, it is outside
the 85% ideal, and also outside the 100% less-than-ideal

I posted that at anything approaching 45mph it started a weave/snake.

I won a 2nd hand AKS-3004 on Ebay (with less than 200 miles on it and
no instructions) and spent quite a few hours attaching it to my Al-Ko
chassis. The old hitch came off easily but the 3004 was such a tight
fit it would not push on the drawbar. Myself and a neighbour spent
hours with various clamps etc trying to slide it over the drawbar, but
eventually we achieved it (in darkness, lit by one of my many Tilley
lamps!).

We also polished the (new) extended neck towball, and marvelled at the
little "friction pads" - how on earth could they work?

Since there was little traffic on the roads at 9:30pm we decided to
test the setup. I have to use a very short stretch of dual
carriageway (M), so we towed the trailer up there. I felt very
nervous, but the trailer didn't snake once at 45-50mph. We drove a
circuit and, with no sign of snaking I did the route to work, but this
time I stayed on the motorway for the whole distance (6 miles). At
50-55mph there was no real sign of snaking, although I mentioned to
Jeff that a couple of times I felt that awful feeling of the back of
the Jeep wiggling - Jeff told me that, looking in the rear mirror on
his side he could see a very slight snake that corrected itself -
usually when we went over uneven road surface.

I'm still nervous, since I don't like the idea of a device
"correcting" an inherently unstable combination, but at least it "does
what it says on the tin".

Low speed manouvreability (sp) was good also. I have to turn a very
tight 180 degrees to get into my property, and I tried it with and
without the stabiliser enabled, with no discernable difference.

Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old April 24th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

On a slightly different thread, I would like to fit one but tow a small
trailer as well as our caravan. I cannot justify the expense of fitting an
AL-KO hitch to the trailer.
Does anyone use their towball for both a normal and AL-KO hitch and if so
how do they manage to clean the ball every time?
Thank you.

"Danny" wrote in message
Some of you may remember my posts regarding weaving in my setup - a
Jeep Cherokee towing a largish espresso/catering trailer. Although

snip
snip

Old April 24th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Stewart" wrote in message
On a slightly different thread, I would like to fit one but tow a small
trailer as well as our caravan. I cannot justify the expense of fitting

an
AL-KO hitch to the trailer.
Does anyone use their towball for both a normal and AL-KO hitch and if so
how do they manage to clean the ball every time?
Thank you.

Small spray bottle of white spirit and a paper towel.

Cheers