Nose weight

Old April 25th 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jackspad

Default Nose weight

How do I know what nose weight of my caravan should be? I have a vauxhall
vectra estate 1.8.cc. Help

Old April 25th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:29:37 GMT, "jackspad"
wrote:

How do I know what nose weight of my caravan should be? I have a vauxhall
vectra estate 1.8.cc. Help

It should say in your car manual what noseweight is allowed. Since
your car will have been produced since type approval for towbars came
in, it should also be stated on a plate on the towbar.

Whatever the car limits are, you should ideally aim for a noseweight
between 7 and 10% of the all-up weight of the caravan. Unfortunately,
this is often too much for many cars, which often have a limit as low
as 50Kg (This would mean a 'van with a max weight of just about 707Kg
to match the recommendations).

While it is more important to met the car limits than the 7% guideline
(it would be illegal to ,load more than the car manufacturer allows),
you should be aware that the caravan is likely to be less stable if it
doesn't have sufficient noseweight.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If a fly has no wings would you call him a walk?

Old April 25th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt. Flack

75 kg for your car. Ideally anyway.

See http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vauxhall.htm

Old April 25th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:32:14 GMT, "Capt. Flack"
wrote:

| 75 kg for your car. Ideally anyway.
|
| See http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vauxhall.htm

The figures given in the car and caravan manuals are Maximums not ideals.
I can not get anywhere near the maximums given for my car and van.
That said too low a nose weight is bad for stability.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old April 25th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 26th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
wrote:

| 75 kg for your car. Ideally anyway.
|
| See http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vauxhall.htm

The figures given in the car and caravan manuals are Maximums not ideals.
I can not get anywhere near the maximums given for my car and van.
That said too low a nose weight is bad for stability.

And so is too high, as well as being not too good for your cars
suspension and tow bar fixing points.
--
hugh
Old April 26th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes