4X4 vs MPV as tow car

Old April 26th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
col

Default 4X4 vs MPV as tow car

I am about to buy a caravan (approx 1250kg mtplm) and need an
appropriate car first. The preferred 4X4's in my budget such as
petrol Xtrail, Rav4, CRV are same weight if not lighter than far
cheaper (or newer!) large diesel engined MPVs. Is there realy a
big advantage in having an SUV. I would appreciate thoughts as I'm
tempted by the 2.0TD CMAX or similar Almera Tino. Thanks, Colin
Old April 26th 05, 05:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

"col" wrote in message
om...
I am about to buy a caravan (approx 1250kg mtplm) and need an
appropriate car first. The preferred 4X4's in my budget such as
petrol Xtrail, Rav4, CRV are same weight if not lighter than far
cheaper (or newer!) large diesel engined MPVs. Is there realy a
big advantage in having an SUV. I would appreciate thoughts as I'm
tempted by the 2.0TD CMAX or similar Almera Tino. Thanks, Colin

You could start the usual 'war' of pro -v- anti 4x4s!
Rather than inviting opinions, firstly what are your requirements for a
vehicle, including family requirements? Why not then reduce yoru list what
you like about the 4x4s you mention and MPVs then test drive each.
I did have for 12 months a second car - an Isuzu Trooper 3.1td. It was a Jap
import and could tow your house without any effort and didn't notice our
Bailey Ranger ....apart from 15mpg when towing and 26 when solo. This was
too much for my pocket. It went and was replaced by a Vectra 2.0td which
gives just over 30 towing and about 52 on a run. Not as solid, but does the
job.
Good luck and hope you get something you are comfortable with.

Old April 26th 05, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
IAN

It dependsalso on whether you go winter caravanning, if you do then a 4x4 is
a must.
I have a Nissan Terrano, 2.7, now people will say well, fuel costs are high
etc with 4x4, but, vehicles like these are work horses, they have a 120kg
nose weight, loads of space in back for kids, awnings, pets etc. Other than
fuel they are cheap to run as parts are plentiful and cheap.
The other reason is the ride, you are not buffeted by winds and lorries, you
have good view and arrive feeling less tired.
Well thats my opinion and I have been caravanning for 35 years, tried all
types of vehicle.
Cheers
Ian

om...

Old April 26th 05, 05:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

col came up with the following;:
I am about to buy a caravan (approx 1250kg mtplm) and need an
appropriate car first. The preferred 4X4's in my budget such as
petrol Xtrail, Rav4, CRV are same weight if not lighter than far
cheaper (or newer!) large diesel engined MPVs. Is there realy a
big advantage in having an SUV. I would appreciate thoughts as I'm
tempted by the 2.0TD CMAX or similar Almera Tino. Thanks, Colin

In the end it's all down to personal preferences.

I prefer a 4x4, you might prefer something different. Try them out, with
the caravan on if possible, before buying and make your own mind up.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old April 26th 05, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"col" wrote in message
om...
I am about to buy a caravan (approx 1250kg mtplm) and need an
appropriate car first. The preferred 4X4's in my budget such as
petrol Xtrail, Rav4, CRV are same weight if not lighter than far
cheaper (or newer!) large diesel engined MPVs. Is there realy a
big advantage in having an SUV. I would appreciate thoughts as I'm
tempted by the 2.0TD CMAX or similar Almera Tino. Thanks, Colin

Don't forget to consider 4WD Estate cars ....... Richard

Old April 26th 05, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"ian" wrote in message
news
It dependsalso on whether you go winter caravanning, if you do then a 4x4
is a must.

We go winter caravanning, and our tow car is a ten-year old automatic,
rear-wheel drive Merc E-class estate. We've never had any problems with
traction, with getting onto or off pitches whether grass or hard-standing,
or with towing in ice (although I try to avoid it, if poss). In my opinion
and experience, all year round caravanning is more than possible with 2
wheel drive.