'helpful' wardens - OTT?

Old April 26th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

Default 'helpful' wardens - OTT?

Recently visited a CCC club site with an over enthusiastic warden. I'm
all for looking after the site, but...

This guy told me which pitch to go to, directed me on *exactly* the
route he wanted me to take to the pitch, then insisted that he (with a
couple of his cronies) manoeuvred my 'van onto the fairly sloping pitch.

I was left wondering, if my 'van had hit a wall (or run off down the
hill and killed someone!), would the warden have been insured? I kind of
enjoy sorting my 'van out, but this guy also levelled the 'van for me.

For all the warden knew, my hand brake might not have been working!

Is this OK??
--
Andy
Old April 26th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"andy" wrote in message
Recently visited a CCC club site with an over enthusiastic warden. I'm all
for looking after the site, but...

This guy told me which pitch to go to, directed me on *exactly* the route
he wanted me to take to the pitch, then insisted that he (with a couple of
his cronies) manoeuvred my 'van onto the fairly sloping pitch.

I was left wondering, if my 'van had hit a wall (or run off down the hill
and killed someone!), would the warden have been insured? I kind of enjoy
sorting my 'van out, but this guy also levelled the 'van for me.

For all the warden knew, my hand brake might not have been working!

Is this OK??

I think so.

Mary
--
Andy

Old April 26th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
homerh

was it the Canterbury site ? we stayed there two years ago and we had to
position the van on to some gravel, got it onto the gravel but the warden
still not happy. Said he wanted it over 2 inches picky or what.

Old April 26th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:35:00 +0100, andy wrote:

| Recently visited a CCC club site with an over enthusiastic warden. I'm
| all for looking after the site, but...
|
| This guy told me which pitch to go to, directed me on *exactly* the
| route he wanted me to take to the pitch, then insisted that he (with a
| couple of his cronies) manoeuvred my 'van onto the fairly sloping pitch.

The Camping and Caravanning Club as its name states is a different beast
from the Caravan Club. It caters for everything from backpackers, large
tents, motorhomes, small vans, to huge monster vans. There are pitches,
say behind a hedge to the southwest, which are good for a backpacker, and
would be wasted on even my small van, which will take quite a strong wind.
Also tenting pitches are not fixed like caravanning pitches. There are
pitches which will take a small van but not a monster. If someone has a
tent on a pitch for a week or a fortnight, that space must be left for a
week or so for the grass to recover. So the next tenter moves a little to
the right or left. The wardens know which road will take which size of van
and which pitch will be OK, for you on the day you arrive. I have had my
van pitched on top of a patch of yellow grass which was being rested.

That said if you know the site, you can normally choose any of several
pitches which may be still available, near the toilets, looking over the
river, with a good TV signal or whatever.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old April 26th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 27th 05, 02:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe

"andy" wrote in message
Recently visited a CCC club site with an over enthusiastic warden. I'm
all for looking after the site, but...

This guy told me which pitch to go to, directed me on *exactly* the
route he wanted me to take to the pitch, then insisted that he (with a
couple of his cronies) manoeuvred my 'van onto the fairly sloping pitch.

I was left wondering, if my 'van had hit a wall (or run off down the
hill and killed someone!), would the warden have been insured? I kind of
enjoy sorting my 'van out, but this guy also levelled the 'van for me.

For all the warden knew, my hand brake might not have been working!

Is this OK??
--
Andy

Was he bored or something?
He would have a job pushing mine around as it weighs 1800kg...
Then again, maybe he would be welcome while I opened a can or two.

Joe

Old April 27th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Joe" wrote in message

"andy" wrote in message
[...]

I would also begrudgingly let him put my awning up as well.....