Carbon Monoxide detector?

Old April 27th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Carbon Monoxide detector?

Does anyone use one of these in the 'van and if so where can I source
one at a fair price?
They all seem to be in the 30 to 40 price range, I don't begrudge
paying that price for safety etc. but would be a little peeved if I
found one for 20 the following day.
Jim
North Derbyshire
England.
Old April 27th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Have seen this sort of thing in the DIY stores, do not think prices were at
that level, but do not know if they are a comparable product.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 27th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 27th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these in the 'van and if so where can I source
one at a fair price?
They all seem to be in the 30 to 40 price range, I don't begrudge
paying that price for safety etc. but would be a little peeved if I
found one for 20 the following day.

Just thinking of my modern caravan and all the safety features on its gas
appliances, which sometimes defeat getting the things to light, is it
neccessary to have a detector?

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 27th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"David" wrote in message

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these in the 'van and if so where can I source
one at a fair price?
They all seem to be in the 30 to 40 price range, I don't begrudge
paying that price for safety etc. but would be a little peeved if I
found one for 20 the following day.

Just thinking of my modern caravan and all the safety features on its gas
appliances, which sometimes defeat getting the things to light, is it
neccessary to have a detector?

Well the flame sensors on the gas controll won't stop the apliance pumping
the van full of carbon monoxide if the flue were accidentaly punctured where
it runs along the back of the wardrobe,
or the wind blowing the exhaust gasses from the fridge back into the van
through inadequately sealed fitting of the fridge,
or the water heater being positioned below a window and you forgetting to
close it on a hot night and so on.

For 30 or 40 quid you can be alerted the second any problem arises before
it's likely to affect you,

Even the most hi-tech apliance can malfunction, a little bit of soot or dirt
blocking the air intake for the gas jet can cause a rich mixture, that on a
cooker or oven can be producing plenty of carbon monoxide without you
realizing untill you get dizzy and sick, as a cooker is not a room sealed
apliance.. neither is the oven, and how long do you have that on for.. if
you use it of course.

Old April 29th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

David wrote:
"billy whizz" wrote in message

snip

Just thinking of my modern caravan and all the safety features on its gas
appliances, which sometimes defeat getting the things to light, is it
neccessary to have a detector?

Quite a few years ago I had just bought a caravan from a large dealer,
on its first winter use, i ran the "room sealed" gas fire, fortunately
my then 3 year old son reacted to carbon monoxide poisoning by
hallucinating, the blood tests we all had later suggested we were less
than 20 minutes from death. We had all settled down to sleep when my son
kicked off. There was a rust hole in the heat exchanger. The three of us
spent a night in hospital on oxygen. so yes, get one for your peace of
mind. Death is very permanent. Martin

Old April 29th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these in the 'van and if so where can I source
one at a fair price?
They all seem to be in the 30 to 40 price range, I don't begrudge
paying that price for safety etc. but would be a little peeved if I
found one for 20 the following day.
Jim
North Derbyshire
England.

Anything electrical or mechanical can fail. I would never go to sleep in a
caravan with a gas heater alight.

Regards.

Dave Dew.
Howard Flight was sacked :-)