Red Pennant

Old April 27th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

Default Red Pennant

Hi all going off to France again this year, we are thinking of taking out
the CC's Red Pennant (Motoring & Personal ) travel insurance. Has anyone
been unfortunate enough to have to use this service.

Please tell me your findings.

Caroline Simpson

Old April 27th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Keith" wrote in message
Hi all going off to France again this year, we are thinking of taking out
the CC's Red Pennant (Motoring & Personal ) travel insurance. Has anyone
been unfortunate enough to have to use this service.

Please tell me your findings.

Caroline

We always use Red Pennant. Once, whilst in Germany, we had to make use of
it. Had a problem with our then Citroen. It was taken to a local dealer, not
sure what they did but suspect reset engine magement light so no spares
used. Red Pennant paid for the full cost so can't really fault them on that
score. However just make sure you read the small print as regards to the
medical side of the insurance especially if any of you family have any
existing medical conditions as they are quite restrictive in what they will
pay for.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 27th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Keith" wrote in
:

Hi all going off to France again this year, we are thinking of taking
out the CC's Red Pennant (Motoring & Personal ) travel insurance. Has
anyone been unfortunate enough to have to use this service.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Red Pennant with a bargepole after the
fiasco about Pajeros they sparked in the March CC Magazine. I phoned the
CC magazine to respond and eventually was put through to "Suzanne" of Red
Pennant, who was quoted in that article. She told me that she wanted to
highlight that grey imports did not have main dealer support and that
they could not do roadside repairs for these vehicles either in UK or
abroad. Now I find it strange that she chose to do that by picking on a
grey import that has full main dealer support in this country. Many grey
imports are also well supported by third-party dealers and spares are
readily available. However, from what Suzanne told me, Red Pennant would
not even try to get spares for imported vehicles, they'd just recover
anything that required a spare part to fix - and so potentially ruin the
member's holiday.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that a UK spec vehicle will have any
better support in a foreign country than will any other vehicle of a
specification not sold in that country. So, grey imports are no worse
than any other abroad. Even so, I got the impression that Red Pennant
wouldn't try to repair, they'd automatically cut your holiday short for
the slightest thing.

To me, that speaks volumes about the competence (or lack of it) on the
part of Red Pennant and I cannot trust an organisation that makes such
funadmental errors about what should be their bread and butter.

FWIW, I've now joined the CCC just to get their RAC Arrival scheme - but
I haven't yet used them for cover abroad.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old April 27th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Keith" wrote in message
Hi all going off to France again this year, we are thinking of taking out
the CC's Red Pennant (Motoring & Personal ) travel insurance. Has anyone
been unfortunate enough to have to use this service.

The CC mag are proud to publish letters of thanks from Red Pennant
claimants. Havn't seen any complaints.
I now use any other travel insurance and Saga Green Flag with European
cover. Works out a lot cheaper than Red Pennant.
DaveK.

Old April 28th 05, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Griffith

We used Red |Pennant for our first trip abroad, and we had a blow out which
caused a lot of damage to the o/s of the van. The people in the Red Pennant
office where absolutely fantastic, they not only offered emotional support
but every thing was done to ensure we could continue on our holiday. They
offered, a replacement van, repatriation home, pick us and the van to take
us to our holiday destination, arrange for a chalet type accommodation on
the same site and they would collect the van. I would not use any other.

The issue is you do not know how good your insurance is until you have to
use it, and to be honest you get what you pay for.

Old April 28th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lazydog

We've used them a number of times.

First time near Tours we suffered a blow-out on caravan. As we stopped the
heater hose blew and clouds of steam came from under the bonnet. We were
towed away by motorway patrol who took us to a garage after changing wheel.
Turns out the cooling fan was malfunctioning. We paid for the necessary
repair and claimed when we got back. Red Pennant paid up without quibbling.

Another time we were grazed by a pickup driving too close to the white line
travelling in the opposite direction. It smashed the window. Fortunately
it was our last day and we were on the way home. I did a temporary repair
with duck tape and claimed when we got back. Again no quibble.

The worst one was when the linkage broke between the gear lever and the gear
box leaving me in reverse gear and not able to move the car. As luck would
have it I'd just finished reversing onto a pitch so we were able to settle
down OK. Although it was a weekend, Red Pennant couldn't have been more
helpful. They did all the negotiating for us this end and found a garage a
few miles away who came out on the Monday and took the car away. Red
Pennant phoned us two days later to tell us the car was ready for fetching.
We took a taxi into the town where the garage boss refused to let us pay
telling us that it was all covered by the insurance. We even claimed the
taxi fare when we got back home.

I wouldn't go abroad without it.

Roy