More Power For Dieisel Engines

Old April 28th 05, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Williams

Default More Power For Dieisel Engines

Has anyone upgraded their Turbo Diesel engine for the claimed 30% more power
and better MPG with the two tuning methods. One version is to re-program the
ECU unit and the other is an add on Power box that plugs inline within the
system. Both systems claim to increase a 109 BHP to around 140 BHP. A bonus
if true, but which version is better for pulling a heavy caravan?

Colin Williams

Old April 28th 05, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Colin Williams" wrote in message
Has anyone upgraded their Turbo Diesel engine for the claimed 30% more
power and better MPG with the two tuning methods. One version is to
re-program the ECU unit and the other is an add on Power box that plugs
inline within the system. Both systems claim to increase a 109 BHP to
around 140 BHP. A bonus if true, but which version is better for pulling a
heavy caravan?

If you can get the data take a look at the torque curves for both mods.
Ideally you want more torque at lower revs and peaking somewhere around your
normal cruise speed. Max BHP isn't as useful as max torque and the RPM it's
put out at. IMHO something like http://www.upsolute.com/ is the best bet
cos they replace your existing chip with one burned in with your serial no
so the standard manufactirer's test equipment wont show up a prob on future
diags.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 28th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:55:27 GMT, "Colin Williams"
wrote:

| Has anyone upgraded their Turbo Diesel engine for the claimed 30% more power
| and better MPG with the two tuning methods. One version is to re-program the
| ECU unit and the other is an add on Power box that plugs inline within the
| system. Both systems claim to increase a 109 BHP to around 140 BHP. A bonus
| if true, but which version is better for pulling a heavy caravan?

Don't do it without telling your Insurance Company, and paying the
increased premium. Also only if your motor is out of guarantee, which
will be invalidated.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old April 28th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 28th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Colin Williams" wrote in message
Has anyone upgraded their Turbo Diesel engine for the claimed 30% more
power and better MPG with the two tuning methods.

I have the www:dieselchiptuning.com (East Coast Racing) system. Takes ten
minutes to fit between injectors and their leads, plus connection to
battery. You can select increase in power up to max 27bhp. It's good.
52 insurance premium hike. Produces performance equal to 2litre petrol on
90hdi Citroen with much better torque.
Fuel consumption now 46mpg, from 49mpg.(But maybe that's due to the fun
factor).
DaveK.

Old April 28th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Colin Williams" wrote in message
Has anyone upgraded their Turbo Diesel engine for the claimed 30% more

power
and better MPG with the two tuning methods. One version is to re-program

the
ECU unit and the other is an add on Power box that plugs inline within the
system. Both systems claim to increase a 109 BHP to around 140 BHP. A

bonus
if true, but which version is better for pulling a heavy caravan?

Colin Williams

I fitted the manufacturers own performance pack to my last Mitsubishi. Took
the power from 113 to 138 bhp with no increase in smoke. Torque was
increased noticeably and towing became much easier whether with a caravan or
car on a trailer. Completely recomended. I am waiting for the launch of the
same for my newer Isuzu.

Cheers