OT. Inflatable Boats

Old April 28th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

Default OT. Inflatable Boats

Hi,
does anyone use a inflatable boat when on yer travels, i am considering
one but would like to know of perhaps good/bad makes,
i have seen one on inside back pages of this months cc magazine and it seems
too good to be true ...165, anyway, this is what i am considering to give
me a added bit of fishing platform whilst away.

Bob

Old April 29th 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi,
does anyone use a inflatable boat when on yer travels, i am considering
one but would like to know of perhaps good/bad makes,
i have seen one on inside back pages of this months cc magazine and it seems
too good to be true ...165, anyway, this is what i am considering to give
me a added bit of fishing platform whilst away.

We have a Zodiac 2.6 metre with 4hp Yamaha outboard. Haven't used it much in this country but boat & motor performed well last year in France. Zodiac are a well known make used by many 'professional' organisations like rescue services. Avon is another make of similar credibility - though there will be many others of course. We paid around 900 for the boat & engine at the London Boat Show, and that was a 'low' Show price. 165 seems a bit cheap but don't discount it because of that, inflatables have to conform to various safety standards. If you just want to use it with oars to row to secluded spots to fish from it should be fine. You need to get a boat with a rigid floor though (ours has a floor that slots in place when the boat is inflated). If you decide to look further for a boat be aware that dealers, like caravan dealers, tend to just stock one or two manufacturers makes, so to see a good variety you may need to visit several outlets - a trawl on the web would be a useful first thing to do. Hope this helps a bit.

Old April 29th 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"krikey" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

It helps me, Spouse has been thinking about it. Thanks.

Mary

Old April 29th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message . net...
It helps me, Spouse has been thinking about it. Thanks.

Here's a couple more things that may help, though I'm by no means an expert, they are just snippets of info that come your way when looking at boats.

Make sure that the boat and motor are compatible. Any dealer should be able to advise on a suitable sized motor so that the boat will neither be over, or under, powered (both can cause problems).
Also, some waterways may impose a maximum power (in horsepower) for the motor.
Lastly, an inflatable boat is a bit like a Tardis in reverse, big on the outside, not so big inside. Don't let economics cause you to get something too small that you won't feel comfortable in. If you get a chance, sit in it together with your husband, and try to imagine all the other gubbins that you may want in the boat with you.

Old April 29th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

"krikey" wrote in message

Here's a couple more things that may help, though I'm by no means an expert,
they are just snippets of info that come your way when looking at boats.

Make sure that the boat and motor are compatible. Any dealer should be able
to advise on a suitable sized motor so that the boat will neither be over,
or under, powered (both can cause problems).
Also, some waterways may impose a maximum power (in horsepower) for the
motor.
Lastly, an inflatable boat is a bit like a Tardis in reverse, big on the
outside, not so big inside. Don't let economics cause you to get something
too small that you won't feel comfortable in. If you get a chance, sit in
it together with your husband, and try to imagine all the other gubbins that
you may want in the boat with you.

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated, I think i will prolly shop around a
bit more, but i must admit that the price is very attractive to me for a new
one...i only wanted something to get me about 100 yards from shoreline and a
motor is not required, i think the Avon and Zodiac are out of my price range
tho i do accept they are the best quality going...after all you get what you
pay for.

Bob.

Old April 29th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Bob" wrote in message

Make sure that the boat and motor are compatible. Any dealer should be
able to advise on a suitable sized motor so that the boat will neither be
over, or under, powered (both can cause problems).

We don't want a motor.

Lastly, an inflatable boat is a bit like a Tardis in reverse, big on the
outside, not so big inside. Don't let economics cause you to get
something too small that you won't feel comfortable in. If you get a
chance, sit in it together with your husband, and try to imagine all the
other gubbins that you may want in the boat with you.

Gubbins - in a boat? We're not doing a world cruise :-)

It will be used on a daughter's lake!

Mary