Microwave Recommendations

Old April 30th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Microwave Recommendations

We are thinking of getting a microwave for our 'van. We have no cooker
only a grill, 3 ring hob and shiny new BBQ. With one child under 2 and
one on the way we thought it would be a useful addition for quick meals,
spaghetti on toast etc, (yes I do realise you can't do toast in a
microwave).

I see Practical Caravan recommend either the Hinari Lifestyle MX 707 TC
Price 35 or Tesco MCM01 Price 24.82.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/mar05.html

I realise that there are power requirement issues with microwaves, the
above will pull 4.8 and 4.6 amps respectively.

Has anyone any comments on using microwaves in a caravan that may be
useful before I buy. Would a integrated grill or oven be beneficial?

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply directly.
Old May 1st 05, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:25:55 +0100, billy whizz
wrote:

| We are thinking of getting a microwave for our 'van. We have no cooker
| only a grill, 3 ring hob and shiny new BBQ. With one child under 2 and
| one on the way we thought it would be a useful addition for quick meals,
| spaghetti on toast etc, (yes I do realise you can't do toast in a
| microwave).
|
| I see Practical Caravan recommend either the Hinari Lifestyle MX 707 TC
| Price 35 or Tesco MCM01 Price 24.82.
|
| http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/mar05.html
|
| I realise that there are power requirement issues with microwaves, the
| above will pull 4.8 and 4.6 amps respectively.
|
| Has anyone any comments on using microwaves in a caravan that may be
| useful before I buy. Would a integrated grill or oven be beneficial?

They take double the rated power on start up, so need a 16 amp supply,
which is becoming standard. On the continent they sometimes have 6 amp
supplies which your microwave will trip.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old May 1st 05, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 1st 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

| Has anyone any comments on using microwaves in a caravan that may be
| useful before I buy. Would a integrated grill or oven be beneficial?

They take double the rated power on start up, so need a 16 amp supply,
which is becoming standard. On the continent they sometimes have 6 amp
supplies which your microwave will trip.

I've got one of the little microwaves caravan shops sell for silly prices in
my van,

it's got a cooking power of 500 watts, and an input current of 900 watts,
i've not measured anymore than 900 watts on all the times i've used the
microwave, even during start up,

It runs fine on my inverter, showing a very low load, the soft start
facility of the inverter hardly has to operate due to the minimal start up
surge, and the microwave is wired through a 6 amp MCB in the van, and it's
not tripped that yet..wether on inverter power, camp site shore power at 16
amps, or home power at 13 amps,

Of course this microwave was designed for a caravan, so it can run on most
hookups without blowing them, so that may be why it has an almost non
existant start up surge.. it does apeer to have it's own soft start feature
in it.. you'll notice it takes a second to go to full power,

Of course a home microwave dosent care one bit about conserving power, it'll
be plugged into a 13 amp socket at home, and never expect less than the full
13 amps to feed it.

Old May 1st 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

Old May 1st 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

CampinGazz wrote:

I've got one of the little microwaves caravan shops sell for silly prices in
my van,

Who is it made by, do you know of any online retailers?

--
Jim.

___________________________________

North Derbyshire
England

To reply directly:
replace "nospam" with "henrun" in the email address

Old May 2nd 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Jim" wrote in message
CampinGazz wrote:

I've got one of the little microwaves caravan shops sell for silly

prices in
my van,

Who is it made by, do you know of any online retailers?

Can't remember the name right now, it's got the word leisure in it.. hence
the high price caravan shops sell em for, picture of something leisurie as
part of the logo.. i.e hills and a tree or something like that, maybe a
caravan in it somewhere or something, i know i should really just goto the
van and look.. but that means getting up off my arse.

Almost all caravan shops sell them tho,

Old May 5th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

We are thinking of getting a microwave for our 'van. We have no cooker
only a grill, 3 ring hob and shiny new BBQ. With one child under 2 and
one on the way we thought it would be a useful addition for quick meals,
spaghetti on toast etc, (yes I do realise you can't do toast in a
microwave).

My Hobby came with an LG bogo small microwave fitted. On piece of advice I
have is get one with loads of various power settings so you can drop the
power if you trip the breaker. We were thankful of it when our kids were
smaller.

Paul