Electrical socket 240v.

Old April 30th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Electrical socket 240v.

Hi,

I am thinking of putting a microwave in our 'van (see my other post
"Microwave Recommendations") I want to put it under the grill in the
cupboard where the oven would be if we had one. The 240v electrical
system is as follows:
Two trip switches, one runs the 12v power supply unit and the water
heater the other 4x13a sockets and the fridge. On the kitchen side of
the van a cable runs down the wall, in and out of a 13a socket and then
down to the 5a fused spur for the fridge. I would like to put a socket
for the microwave in the cupboard and am considering taking the power
from the back of the 5a fused spur, obviously from the 13a side.
Another option is to cut the cable prior to the spur and put in a
junction box.

Any comments or advice please?

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply directly.
Old May 1st 05, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:53:11 +0100, billy whizz
wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I am thinking of putting a microwave in our 'van (see my other post
| "Microwave Recommendations") I want to put it under the grill in the
| cupboard where the oven would be if we had one. The 240v electrical
| system is as follows:
| Two trip switches, one runs the 12v power supply unit and the water
| heater the other 4x13a sockets and the fridge. On the kitchen side of
| the van a cable runs down the wall, in and out of a 13a socket and then
| down to the 5a fused spur for the fridge. I would like to put a socket
| for the microwave in the cupboard and am considering taking the power
| from the back of the 5a fused spur, obviously from the 13a side.
| Another option is to cut the cable prior to the spur and put in a
| junction box.

In the UK caravan supplies are becoming standardized on 16 amps, so the
maximum you can take is 16 amps. Your 4x13 amps sockets will only deliver
16 amps maximum before the caravan or camp site trip goes. This will not
normally cause a problem, because most things which go into a 13amp plug
nowadays only draw an amp or two.

Microwaves are an exception to this general rule, because they draw double
the rated current on start up. So you should run a microwave off a 13 amp
supply. On the continent, and small sites this might not work, because
they may have a six amp supply which the microwave may trip.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old May 1st 05, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 1st 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

billy whizz wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking of putting a microwave in our 'van (see my other post
"Microwave Recommendations") I want to put it under the grill in the
cupboard where the oven would be if we had one. The 240v electrical
system is as follows:
Two trip switches, one runs the 12v power supply unit and the water
heater the other 4x13a sockets and the fridge. On the kitchen side of
the van a cable runs down the wall, in and out of a 13a socket and
then down to the 5a fused spur for the fridge. I would like to put a
socket for the microwave in the cupboard and am considering taking
the power from the back of the 5a fused spur, obviously from the 13a
side. Another option is to cut the cable prior to the spur and put in
a junction box.

Any comments or advice please?

Provided the cable feeding the 5a spur is not smaller in section than that
feeding the 13a sockets, I see no problem in connecting to the input side of
the spur.

Clearly, the overall current is limited by what the hookup can supply (or by
any inernal trips, if less) - so you can't have the sockets in use (with
anything other than light loads) at the *same* time as the microwave.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old May 1st 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Hi,

I am thinking of putting a microwave in our 'van (see my other post
"Microwave Recommendations") I want to put it under the grill in the
cupboard where the oven would be if we had one. The 240v electrical
system is as follows:
Two trip switches, one runs the 12v power supply unit and the water heater
the other 4x13a sockets and the fridge. On the kitchen side of the van a
cable runs down the wall, in and out of a 13a socket and then down to the
5a fused spur for the fridge. I would like to put a socket for the
microwave in the cupboard and am considering taking the power from the
back of the 5a fused spur, obviously from the 13a side. Another option is
to cut the cable prior to the spur and put in a junction box.

Any comments or advice please?

Hi,
The only time i have seen this done, it caused the "Trip" to deploy on
several occasions because of the lack of rear ventilation....your microwave
will pour out steam and this is not good in enclosed spaces, especially
where a 13 amp socket will be located.

good luck tho
Bob.

Old May 1st 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Bob" wrote in message

"billy whizz" wrote in message

Any comments or advice please?

Hi,
The only time i have seen this done, it caused the "Trip" to deploy

on
several occasions because of the lack of rear ventilation....your

microwave
will pour out steam and this is not good in enclosed spaces, especially
where a 13 amp socket will be located.

thought it would be logical to put vents around the microwave when building
it in.. but it proves not everyone thinks of this,

My microwave is fixed above the fridge in my van, so it's at eye height,
(it's a motorhome, so no need to say it'll make it unstable having anything
that high up like in a caravan)
i built it into the van, and put a vent at the rear top of the enclosure the
microwave lives in.. it vents outside the van, and the microwave is sealed
to the enclosure like a fridge install.

the enclosure is a good bit bigger than the microwave, so there's plenty of
room for ventilation around it, i was going to put a fan on a timer in the
vent if the microwave had any trouble working being built into the
cabinetery.. but i havent had the need to do that yet,

We use the microwave on the inverter as we very very rarely use hookups
unless forced to, so we're not cooking xmas dinners in it, prolly 20 minutes
is the longest i've had it on for, and it never tripped out or got too hot
once,
And the socket is at the bottom of the enclosure, never had any problems
with that either... got an isolating switch further down the cable to the
microwaves socket so i can isolate it if needed without having to take the
panels off and unscrew the microwave to get at it's socket.