Which Gas?? Butane or Propane

« - | - »

Old August 6th 03, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Which Gas?? Butane or Propane

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:12:19 +0100, mickey
wrote:

| Which is the best gas to use for a caravan, the vab in qusetion has not got a
| regulator fitted at the moment so that does not help me much.
| As a hint the van will be in use 12 months of the year and therefore sublect to cold
| weather.
| It is an Avondale Leda with oven, hob, heater and fridge fitted.
| TIA

see sg

Dave Fawthrop Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.
Old August 6th 03, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:32:12 +0100, "David" wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
|
| Butane v Propane.
| Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
| about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
| freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.
|
| Many people think Calor is a gas,

It is a *gas* at room temperature and pressure.
The bottles contain a liquid because it is under pressure.
Swing it about next to your ear and you can hear and feel it slosh.
Ain't science wonderful 8-0

Dave F
Old August 7th 03, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve B

wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
|
| Butane v Propane.
| Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
| about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
| freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.
|
| Many people think Calor is a gas,

It is a *gas* at room temperature and pressure.
The bottles contain a liquid because it is under pressure.
Swing it about next to your ear and you can hear and feel it slosh.
Ain't science wonderful 8-0

Dave F

OT I know - but I think it's pretty cool that the *liquid* uses heat
transfer from the outside canister to convert it to a gas (14 degrees C I
think is all it needs) when the valve is opened. Physics......great waste
of time at school IIRC !!

Old August 7th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robin Dumpleton

Propane evaporates at -41C Butane at -2C . As it evaporates it
refridgerates. Sneakily the amount of gas that can be evaporated depends on
the wetted surface area of the container, that is why sometimes the pressure
drops when you are drawing much gas off an almost empty cylinder.

Robin

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:23:36 +0100, "Steve B"
wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
| On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:32:12 +0100, "David"
| wrote:

| |
| | "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
| |
| | Butane v Propane.
| | Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
| | about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
| | freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.
| |
| | Many people think Calor is a gas,
|
| It is a *gas* at room temperature and pressure.
| The bottles contain a liquid because it is under pressure.
| Swing it about next to your ear and you can hear and feel it slosh.
| Ain't science wonderful 8-0

| OT I know - but I think it's pretty cool that the *liquid* uses heat
| transfer from the outside canister to convert it to a gas (14 degrees C

| think is all it needs) when the valve is opened. Physics......great

waste
| of time at school IIRC !!

Not at all!
Being good at Physics at school has kept me in work for almost 50 years.

Dave Fawthrop Sick of Direct Marketing
telephone calls and silent calls? They use a computer which phones many
numbers, but talk to only one. Register your: real name, tel number,
snail mail address, with Telephone Preference Service,

« - | - »