lpg v propane

Old May 2nd 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
flybywire

Default lpg v propane

No doubt an old hat question but which is best please these days

lpg or propane especially if we want to go abroad.

Do you need different connections when abroad

does lpg last longer than propane

many thanks

Mike

Old May 2nd 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"flybywire" wrote in message
No doubt an old hat question but which is best please these days

lpg or propane especially if we want to go abroad.

Do you need different connections when abroad

does lpg last longer than propane

LPG is either propane or butane.. LPG is the term used for the gas..
Liquified Petrolium Gas,

Propane is a type of LPG, as is Butane,

Propanes what you get out of the nozzle at a lpg pump, and in the red
bottles if you pay calors rip off prices,
Butanes what some people like to use if they only use the van in summer, as
it's useless in winter, (fails to vaporize below about 2 degree's C..
propane will vaporize down to about minus 40 odd)

when you go abroad.. you'll prolly get a mixtue of both, it's down to brand
names.. and calor's not available abroad,
if you have a re-fillable bottle/tank, then you don't have to worry at all,
just top up the bottle/tank when ever you feel you need to, where ever you
see a fuel station selling gas.

Old May 2nd 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:47:12 GMT, "flybywire"
wrote:

No doubt an old hat question but which is best please these days

lpg or propane especially if we want to go abroad.

Do you need different connections when abroad

does lpg last longer than propane

It might help if you actually got the terminology right :-)

I presume you actually mean to ask about butane or propane (both are
LPG).

Butane is generally better unless you want to use it at low
temperatures. Butane will not work ate temperatures below about -4
Celsius.

But when it does work, it is cheaper per unit of heat than propane,
and usually actually produces a higher heat at the burners.

The question for going abroad relates to the use of Calor Gas or
Camping Gaz (both are normally butane, but propane is available). Most
caravanners who use their 'vans exclusively in this country use Calor,
because it is available in more convenient sizes, and the larger sizes
tend to be more economical than is possible with Camping Gaz here.

But Calor is not widely available in mainland Europe, so for those
taking their 'van abroad, camping gaz is the better option, unless
they can take enough Calor to last the complete trip.

And yes, you do need different regulators for Calor or Camping Gaz.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Memory is a thing we forget with.

Old May 3rd 05, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:47:12 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:

| No doubt an old hat question but which is best please these days
|
| lpg or propane especially if we want to go abroad.

We have a 907 Camping gas bottle with adaptor for use abroad, it is
expensive but available most places

| Do you need different connections when abroad
|
| does lpg last longer than propane

see sig

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives

Old May 3rd 05, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 3rd 05, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 03 May 2005 00:42:35 +0100, Alex Heney wrote:

| Butane is generally better unless you want to use it at low
| temperatures. Butane will not work ate temperatures below about -4
| Celsius.

I have had bitter shiver experience of that, which is why I now use
propane.
Old May 3rd 05, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 3rd 05, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"flybywire" wrote in news:Q5yde.22522$p06.15407
@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

No doubt an old hat question but which is best please these days

lpg or propane especially if we want to go abroad.

Do you need different connections when abroad

does lpg last longer than propane

Assuming that you meant "butane v propane", yes it is old hat. FWIW, the
archives for this group contain a "few" discussions on the subject.
Basically, Calor butane (blue cylinders) gives you more cups of tea per
pound and per cylinder than does propane (red cylinders), unless it's a
bit parky when butane won't vapourise. IOW, if you're an all-year camper,
butane doesn't work when you need it most.

However, if you mean LPG (sold for road fuel) stored in something like
the Gaslow refillable cylinders (e.g.
http://www.leisuregasservices.co.uk/), AFAICT, LPG road fuel is a mixture
of mainly propane and butane. Take a look at Leisure Gas Services' FAQs
for some info about this system.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane