hot water

Old August 6th 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Humphries

Default hot water

I have just purchased a van and unlike my last Caravan this one has hot
water.

Question is. Can I leave the electric heater on all the time or should I
only switch it on when I need hot water.

Andrew

Old August 6th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Andrew Humphries wrote:
I have just purchased a van and unlike my last Caravan this one has
hot water.

Question is. Can I leave the electric heater on all the time or
should I only switch it on when I need hot water.

Like an immersion heater at home, the electric heater is thermostatically
controlled and will do no harm to be left on all the time. The fact that
you generally pay a standard 'per-day' electricity charge on most sites
means that there is no financial penalty for this either. Of course, every
appliance has a finite life span and the more it is used, the faster it will
wear out! In terms of a water heater, though, this is unlikely to be of
concern during the normal life-span of a caravan.
Despite the above, my wife and I tend to switch the heater off whenever we
go out for the day, and also turn it off during the night. My wife is an
early 'waker' and her first job on waking up is to lean under the bed and
switch the heater on so that the water is nice and hot and ready for our
showers!

Kev

Old August 6th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Raymond Hopkins

If it is carver cascade,G&E just switch it on and forget,the thermostat
wil take care of everything
Ray

Old August 6th 03, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:23:15 +0100, "Andrew Humphries"
wrote:

| I have just purchased a van and unlike my last Caravan this one has hot
| water.
|
| Question is. Can I leave the electric heater on all the time or should I
| only switch it on when I need hot water.

While there is water in the tank and the pump is working, you can leave it
on. If it boils dry you have a problem.

We switched ours off over the weekend to get rid of the small amount of
lost heat in an overheated van.

Dave Fawthrop Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.
Old August 6th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:17:49 +0100, "Raymond Hopkins"
wrote:

If it is carver cascade,G&E just switch it on and forget,the thermostat
wil take care of everything

But if you are running the heater on gas it is preferable to turn it
off when not required, simply because your gas is not included in the
site fee.
(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 6th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

We recently spent a lengthy period in France. It was hot! I found the water
heater added quite a bit of heat inside the 'van (even though it is well
insulated). As it is under "my bunk", I turn it off at night and when
unlikely to be used for lengthy periods. It "re-heats" very rapidly.

Roger

Old August 6th 03, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Andrew Humphries tried to scribble ...

I have just purchased a van and unlike my last Caravan this one has
hot water.

Question is. Can I leave the electric heater on all the time or
should I only switch it on when I need hot water.

Both are reasonable options, depending upon how much water you might need.

--
.............................Paul - xxx
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Old August 7th 03, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been Dave Fawthrop who typed:

:: On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:23:15 +0100, "Andrew Humphries"
:: wrote:
::
::: I have just purchased a van and unlike my last Caravan this one has
::: hot water.
:::
::: Question is. Can I leave the electric heater on all the time or
::: should I only switch it on when I need hot water.
::
:: While there is water in the tank and the pump is working, you can
:: leave it on. If it boils dry you have a problem.

There is a cut out which saves damage (guess how I know that!) I like others
leave it on during the day it takes an hour or so to heat from cold, and
switch it off at night as it does add a lot of heat to the bed.

Des

---

Old August 7th 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
slnc

Hi Roger,
Its good on a cold night it just like a hot water bottle.

John
Yours
slnc

For The Scottish Lace & Net Centre ( Scotland )
Web site:-
http://www.slnc.btinternet.co.uk
Ebay Shop:-
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/theoldscottishlacemill
( N.A.V )
A Member of:- C & C.C and C.C

It was my Spell Checker that check it not me?,