Le havre to Sarlat, Dordogne - Best Route for towing caravan

Old May 4th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Greg Reed

Default Le havre to Sarlat, Dordogne - Best Route for towing caravan

Hi

Later this summer we are towing caravan from Le Havre to Sarlat in the
Dordogne,

Did the west coast last year and was easy tow, nearly all Autoroutes but not
so sure about the early part of this route.

Most online routing software shows leaving the E5/A13 and using the N154 but
some show continuing nearly to Paris and staying on the Autoroute.

Seems straightforward once onto the A71 E9 at Orleans.

Any personal experiences?
From what I can see N154 does have a fair bit of Dual Carriage way with
by-passes but also lot of single lane and skirting of towns. Much the more
direct route.

I am inclined to stay as far from Paris as possible but do the Western
autoroutes stay quite clear or do they get a bit like the M25!! There seems
to be quite a network of autoroutes around here with the A12 & N10 cutting
the corner but really hard to guess the best roads.

Also time of travel, Ferry lands 10pm (9pm UK) so hope to do 3hrs so might
have to overnight around Paris level so early start Fri AM will be bad
traffic time but if this is the better route might be worth me driving on
into the night and get round Paris before stopping. Usually fresh from ferry
trip & kids will sleep so there are benefits.

Also although wife will be in passenger seat and I have a PDA Sat Nav I am
the worlds worst navigator and wife no use either I am inclined to stick to
autoroutes and as easy as possible but again Paris Auto routes are not the
easiest, Did do Eurodisney some years ago and managed OK did not think easy.

Sorry I have ended up rambling on.

Thanks I/A
Greg Reed.

Old May 4th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Did that run a couple of years ago and having previously experienced the
joys (albeit it was far from that) of outer Paris roads decided to cut
across to pick up the A10 just above Orleans. Thats the autoroute E5/A13
out of Le Havre sp Paris to where the N154 cuts south then onto Dreux -
Chartres - and towards Orleans to connect with the A10

Well signposted and pretty straightforward (except when we reached the
outskirts of Chartes where I mistook a sign and for a short distance headed
into the city). Some is dual carriaway but mostly single - towns etc apart
we seemed to keep up a steady 50/55+ for most of the journey on this route.

Mike

"Greg Reed" wrote in message
Hi

Later this summer we are towing caravan from Le Havre to Sarlat in the
Dordogne,

Did the west coast last year and was easy tow, nearly all Autoroutes but
not so sure about the early part of this route.

Most online routing software shows leaving the E5/A13 and using the N154
but some show continuing nearly to Paris and staying on the Autoroute.

Seems straightforward once onto the A71 E9 at Orleans.

Any personal experiences?
From what I can see N154 does have a fair bit of Dual Carriage way with

Old May 4th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom Lea

An alternative is Le Havre, Alencon, le Mans, Tours, Limoges, Sarlat.

Done this route (in reverse) last year and found no problems with route or roads.

Tom

"Greg Reed" wrote in message
Hi

Later this summer we are towing caravan from Le Havre to Sarlat in the
Dordogne,

Did the west coast last year and was easy tow, nearly all Autoroutes but
not so sure about the early part of this route.

Most online routing software shows leaving the E5/A13 and using the N154
but some show continuing nearly to Paris and staying on the Autoroute.

Seems straightforward once onto the A71 E9 at Orleans.

Any personal experiences?
From what I can see N154 does have a fair bit of Dual Carriage way with

Old May 7th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Wed, 4 May 2005 12:00:16 +0100, "Greg Reed"
wrote:

Hi

Later this summer we are towing caravan from Le Havre to Sarlat in the
Dordogne,

Did the west coast last year and was easy tow, nearly all Autoroutes but not
so sure about the early part of this route.

Most online routing software shows leaving the E5/A13 and using the N154 but
some show continuing nearly to Paris and staying on the Autoroute.

Seems straightforward once onto the A71 E9 at Orleans.

Any personal experiences?
From what I can see N154 does have a fair bit of Dual Carriage way with
[...]

I recommend heading for Orleans via Evreux & Dreux, then on to Vierzon
where you can pick up the A20 which is a Toll Free Autoroute until it
gets to Brive. Good roads all the way & mostly Free, plus you don't
need to go any ware near Paris.

Lenny