Dangerous foam/motor caravans

Old May 5th 05, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

Default Dangerous foam/motor caravans

Report on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently motor caravans made in
France, Germany, and Italy use foam in seats that are not fireproof, and
do not comply to BSI standards. European standards allow this to happen.
Caravans comply to BSI but motor caravans built in these countries are
exempt!

Any thoughts?
Old May 5th 05, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"BrianG" wrote in message
Report on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently motor caravans made in
France, Germany, and Italy use foam in seats that are not fireproof, and
do not comply to BSI standards. European standards allow this to happen.
Caravans comply to BSI but motor caravans built in these countries are
exempt!

Any thoughts?

Probably only a problem for people that smoke.

Please reply to News Group.

Old May 5th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

BrianG came up with the following;:
Report on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently motor caravans made in
France, Germany, and Italy use foam in seats that are not fireproof, and
do not comply to BSI standards. European standards allow this to happen.
Caravans comply to BSI but motor caravans built in these countries are
exempt!

Any thoughts?

I have a caravan and am unlikely to ever buy a European motorcaravan.

So I don't care. What others do is their problem.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 5th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"BrianG" wrote in message
Report on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently motor caravans made in
France, Germany, and Italy use foam in seats that are not fireproof, and
do not comply to BSI standards. European standards allow this to happen.
Caravans comply to BSI but motor caravans built in these countries are
exempt!

Any thoughts?

I seriously doubt that the Germans would allow home furnishing foam to be
flamable. I bet they are tested to a TUV standard. Importers of European
vans and campers have been using the old chestnut about changing all the
foam because it is not to BS standard. They are probabally correct but they
will be to European TUV standard but just not have a kite mark on them.

Paul

Old May 5th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
liz hall

Our friends buy their motor caravans from Germany and they have to get a
certificate each time to say it conforms to the UK standards and also I
believe our others friends who buy foreign caravans have to have something
changed in the van to conform, I expect the insurance company would advise
anyway.
Liz