Damp in swift

Old May 5th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tap

Default Damp in swift

Hi every one, just wandered if any one knows of a way to treat/repair damp
in my 1991 swift challenger 490/5. The damp has appeared as pimples on the
front 2 side walls and in the kitchen area, is it possible to renew the
interior walls? where do i get materials from.
cheers, Mick

Old May 5th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"tap" wrote in message
Hi every one, just wandered if any one knows of a way to treat/repair damp
in my 1991 swift challenger 490/5. The damp has appeared as pimples on the
front 2 side walls and in the kitchen area, is it possible to renew the
interior walls? where do i get materials from.

Sorry to say but if you can see it, it is what you can't see inside that's
the real problem.
I would wonder at 14 years old if repair is ecconomical.

Please reply to News Group.

Old May 6th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

well, I'g going to re-skin 1/2 the inside of my 89 avondale at the end of
this season.

I did a similar job 2 years ago on a 81 lunar.

It is not particularly pleasant as all the damp rotting wood is REALLY
smelly!! Get all the furniture out, lift the carpets out and then strip the
soggy ply away from the polystyrene wuth a 2" chisel. Most will just fall
off, but be careful at the bits where it's still stuck.

I used 3mm ply to replace it, cutting round windows with a jigsaw and
slathering (good word eh?) loads of mastic in the external joins & around
windows to prevent further leaks. My brother now lives in that van as he
builds a new house, so I guess it's pretty dry!!

I didn't get new factory appearance inside, but it was fine for us!!

Martin

Old May 6th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Anne

you could try running a dehumidifier in there for a few day.this will dry
out the area but won't do anything to rectify any damage so it depends how
bad it is.i'f you're going to try this you need to seal up all the vents in
the vans or all you're doing is trying to suck the moisture out of the
field.......lol
anne

Old May 7th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:57:04 GMT, "tap"
wrote:

Hi every one, just wandered if any one knows of a way to treat/repair damp
in my 1991 swift challenger 490/5. The damp has appeared as pimples on the
front 2 side walls and in the kitchen area, is it possible to renew the
interior walls? where do i get materials from.
cheers, Mick

I did it a few years ago in a leaky Lunar. Got the wall board from a
local dealer about 28 for a 7' x 4' sheet. For adhesive I used 'West
System' available from yacht chandlers.

It is a lot of work and you also need to remove all the external rails
& trim & reseal them.

Lenny