Newbie Towing advice

Old August 6th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default Newbie Towing advice

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:08:14 +0000 (UTC), "Still 21"
wrote:

Hi
I've just brought an Elddis 350/2 which has a weight spec of Ex Works Weight
653 kgs Payload 140 kgs.

My car is an Almera Activ 1400 which has a max braked towing weight of
900kg.

Will this combination get me by, I only want to tow localish for the next
few months but plan to do Scotland in june 04.

Will this combination be too much of a strain for the car. There are only
two of us plus an awning.

That sounds as though it will do nicely, although at 88% it is just
above the recommended level but still well within the safe limits, but
this really depends upon the kerbside weight of the Almeira. With only
140kg of payload to go at you might find yourself a little restricted,
this weight has to include everything which goes in the van including
pots, pans, plates and the like, plus gas bottles, waste and fresh
water containers, and all your clothes and food. You must also remeber
the weight of any water you may have in any water heater or tiolets
that you have fitted. I would carry the awning in your car though.
Once you have been using it a while you might find that you would
prefer to replace the car with something a little larger but providing
you are prepared to take your time and take care you will find few
problems. I towed a similar sized caravan with a Skoda 120L as my
first tow car 13 years ago and it coped surprisingly well, and your
Almeira will have much more power and torque available. You will see
what you think about your trip to Scotland next year when you have
done one or two shorter trips, it really depends upon how far away
from Scotland you are, but then again with a caravan on the back you
can do the trip over a a couple of days or so if you choose to, there
are always places to stop.
Many of us in here would recommend that you join one of the two clubs,
my preference is the Caravan Club and being a member of boththe CC and
the CCC I would have no hesitation about recommending the CC but have
some reservations about the CCC.
I hope you enjoy your caravanning,
(remove the spam to reply)