12v Power Supply, Inverter, Tyre Pump

Old May 5th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default 12v Power Supply, Inverter, Tyre Pump

Does anyone have any experience of these units. I saw one advertised
recently (? insert in Caravan Club mag). I like to use CLs with no hookups,
so wonder if they would be a good emergency source of power, plus a low
wattage 240v supply for use charging phone, running computer etc.

Keith

Old May 5th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Keith Dunbar (2) said the following on 05/05/2005 20:33:
Does anyone have any experience of these units. I saw one advertised
recently (? insert in Caravan Club mag). I like to use CLs with no hookups,
so wonder if they would be a good emergency source of power, plus a low
wattage 240v supply for use charging phone, running computer etc.

Keith

get a fag lighter charger for the phone (and only use phone in
emergency) dump the computer and enjoy the peace and solitude of the CL

Roy

Old May 5th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Keith Dunbar (2) wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of these units. I saw one advertised
recently (? insert in Caravan Club mag). I like to use CLs with no hookups,
so wonder if they would be a good emergency source of power, plus a low
wattage 240v supply for use charging phone, running computer etc.

Keith

I used an inverter for my laptop at work (HGV Driver), the problem was I
kept blowing the inverters up, under warranty luckily. the problem was
that although the laptop only needs 19v 3.0A = 57W, the transformer
needs substantially more 240V 1.6A = 384W

The best option, assuming it is a laptop you are using, is to buy a car
adapter, I bought mine from the laptop shop.

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/laptop-car-adapters.htm

You could also buy a car charger for the phone or Towsure even do a wind
up one.

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?c=mp2&x=7&y=7

--
Jim.

___________________________________

North Derbyshire
England

To reply directly:
replace "nospam" with "henrun" in the email address

Old May 6th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Keith Dunbar (2)" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience of these units. I saw one advertised
recently (? insert in Caravan Club mag). I like to use CLs with no
hookups, so wonder if they would be a good emergency source of power, plus
a low wattage 240v supply for use charging phone, running computer etc.

Wouldn't be without it in my camper. I paid 27 for a 300w continuous/600w
peak inverter from Beccles Sunday market. I've got it permanently installed
with a 6 way mains adapter and driving along it powers the phone chargers
(wifes & kids), gameboy chargers, laptop for watching DVDs, ipod charger,
kids remote control car charger etc etc. It's also pretty efficient,
compare the power in to the power out and it's a good 90%, I'd happily leave
it switched on when on site if the kids wanted to recharge their toys or
something but I usually make an excuse that the battery will go flat. That
way all the electronic devices gradually die after the first day or so and
I'm left in peace.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 6th 05, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

I take your point, but only purpose of computer is to find quiet peaceful
sites using the Autoroute pushpins I heard of through this site - so much
easier than ploughing through the site books.

I guess my main concern is having some sort of backup 12v power supply that
I can readily recharge in the car.

Keith

Old May 6th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Keith Dunbar (2) said the following on 06/05/2005 09:05:
I take your point, but only purpose of computer is to find quiet peaceful
sites using the Autoroute pushpins I heard of through this site - so much
easier than ploughing through the site books.

I guess my main concern is having some sort of backup 12v power supply that
I can readily recharge in the car.

Keith

The lap-top I presently use for propping open the shed door (long story)
has/had a 12v input socket - so may be worth looking for a suitable
adaptor for yours

Roy