Generators for caravanning?

Old May 5th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy E

Default Generators for caravanning?

What is the best generator to purchase for touring?
Wattage? Value for money? etc....

Appreciate some comments or personal recommendations please. Are they worth
purchasing?

AE

Old May 5th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Andy E" wrote in message
.. .
What is the best generator to purchase for touring?
Wattage? Value for money? etc....

Appreciate some comments or personal recommendations please. Are they worth
purchasing?

AE

oooooooooooooops

CAN OF big big and even bigger WORMS

Hope you can stand the worms

No doubt led by the hyphenologist

DieSea

Old May 5th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Andy E came up with the following;:
What is the best generator to purchase for touring?
Wattage? Value for money? etc....

Appreciate some comments or personal recommendations please. Are they
worth purchasing?

Honda. Beat everything else hands down. We've had ours at least five years
and it was three years old when we got it.

2 strokes are an abomination with no power, 'cheapie cheap; 30 jobbies are
even worse ....

Expect to spend upwards of a couple of hundred second-hand for one that's
worthwhile and will last more than a season.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 6th 05, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Andy E came up with the following;:
What is the best generator to purchase for touring?
Wattage? Value for money? etc....

Appreciate some comments or personal recommendations please. Are they
worth purchasing?

Honda. Beat everything else hands down. We've had ours at least five

years
and it was three years old when we got it.

2 strokes are an abomination with no power, 'cheapie cheap; 30 jobbies

are
even worse ....

Expect to spend upwards of a couple of hundred second-hand for one that's
worthwhile and will last more than a season.

I can second, avoid the cheapo 2 stroke gennies,

Was funny at the peterborough show.. some stall was selling a 'new in box'
kingavon 650 watt genny.. and his asking price was 200!!!! he'd put a bit
of card on it saying it had a 950 watt max power rating, so will run
microwaves etc....

What was funny was some gullable fool fell for it and bought it.. didnt see
what they paid for it, but i know how much the seller paid for it.. 42.99p
at makro last week when they were on sale.. as they are every other week,

I had one a month ago.. took it straight back, wasnt worth even the 50 quid
i paid for it, engine hunded like hell at low power levels, apply a big load
after it's been running at a low load and it'll do a smoke machine
impression any disco owner will be proud of,

Has an anoying ding to the exhaust note at low revs.. think trials bike
exhaust noise.

sure it was fairly quiet.. for a 2 stroke engine, but it was by no means
quiet enough to use around other people.. i felt embarresed to have it
running at the driffield show, even tho the american RV's were running their
gennies.. most of which have engines larger than most motorhomes use for
propulsion

But the power output was rubbish, was runnign at about 57 hertz.. so motors
over spun, owt with a clock ran fast, but it also couldent hold it's voltage
well at all, no load it was bunging out 260 volts, apply a 500 watt
resistive load and it sank to 180 volts,
Try the microwave (which mine is a 500 watt cooking power, 900 watt input
power version) and the engine almost stalled, voltage couldent get above
150, frequancy was around 40 or below.. the engine was hunting like hell to
keep going, and this was with a load it could supposedly run.. 900 watts on
a 950 watt genny...

But reading the manual for a cosmo genny.. similar cheap crap make, these
gennies can only handle a 250 watt inductive load.. so unless your going to
use the genny for a heater or lights, they're pretty useless,

We forgot all about the genny idea, and got a solar panel, 4 x 115 AH
batteries, and a 1600 watt almost pure sine wave inverter, runs everything
in the van.. and almost everything from the house too, no noise, no smell,
no ****ing off the people parked next to you,

i used to defend gennies.. used in the right place.. i.e not on a camp site,
but ok a shows, boondocking etc, but now i just can't be bothered with
anything but the latest honda inverter gennies.. but they start at 700 quid
and spiral upwards faster than the depreciation on a new hymer

Of course, it all depends on your intended use for a genny... for just
re-charging the batteries/battery, if you can afford it a solar panel may be
a better bet.. i got a 123 watt panel.. (i know a bloke who sells them for
420.. same things at the peterborough show were selling for 700 quid.. we
stopped one person buying one at that rip off price, but others didn't
believe us.. saying if the big sellers sell them for that price, the ones i
know of must be inferior.. hmmm, good logic

I average 35 amp hours of power a day from my solar panel, the battery
monitor's been showing 100% most of the time since i got the panel, and i've
not used an electric hookup for months.. never plan to again either.

Old May 6th 05, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

CampinGazz came up with the following;:

Has an anoying ding to the exhaust note at low revs.. think trials bike
exhaust noise.

Woah ... and what's wrong with trials bikes ??????

I have a Beamish Suzuki (1979) that sounds lovely. OK, the Fantic is a bit
ring-ding-ding though .,..

But the power output was rubbish, was runnign at about 57 hertz.. so
motors over spun, owt with a clock ran fast, but it also couldent hold
it's voltage well at all, no load it was bunging out 260 volts, apply a
500 watt resistive load and it sank to 180 volts,
Try the microwave (which mine is a 500 watt cooking power, 900 watt input
power version) and the engine almost stalled, voltage couldent get above
150, frequancy was around 40 or below.. the engine was hunting like hell
to keep going, and this was with a load it could supposedly run.. 900
watts on a 950 watt genny...

Yup. We run a 650W Honda, which will run a 700 watt microwave with ease ...
not that we have a microwave in the 'van, but we tried it anyway at home ..

It also has a 60Hz button for running at max load, if you need it, but you
generally don't.

We forgot all about the genny idea, and got a solar panel, 4 x 115 AH
batteries, and a 1600 watt almost pure sine wave inverter, runs everything
in the van.. and almost everything from the house too, no noise, no smell,
no ****ing off the people parked next to you,

s'what we use on sites. The gennie is for when we're racing .... Horses for
courses ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 6th 05, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:46:51 +0100, "Andy E"
wrote:

| What is the best generator to purchase for touring?
| Wattage? Value for money? etc....

Non, your neighbours will hate you if yow use one and most sites have a
quiet time rule.

there are alternatives see below
You can caravan without that orange cable FAQ

This FAQ is intended to give some pointers on how to caravan without
that orange cable, or at a site where hookups are not available. It
does not try to say what is best, because that will depend on your
individual circumstances, but does try to give basic information about
the methods and the advantages and disadvantages of each alternative.

For general information on batteries see: http://www.batteryfaq.org,
this is a bit US oriented, but lead acid batteries are much the same
worldwide.

Domestic multimeters now cost as little as 2.50 and are useful for
caravan work.

A new fully charged 110Ah Leisure Battery will last most people for a
weekend, but very few a week. For longer than a few days you will
have to recharge the battery somehow. Remember that as batteries get
older and as they have more use/misuse they will hold less charge, and
eventually need replacing.

Leisure batteries are usually *not* the no maintenance batteries
becoming common in cars. If yours allows topping up, always check
your electrolyte, and top up to marks on the body with
distilled/deionized water regularly. You should always charge your
battery(s) before you leave home, either on the bench, or by leaving
the van powered up, you should give either method several days to
fully charge. Cheap chargers make gas, so you must top up the
electrolyte. Expensive electronic chargers do not fully charge the
battery, and make less gas so need topping up less frequently.
Remember also that the electrolyte will evaporate slowly even while
the battery is unused.

There is very little power in a leisure battery so you should use it
as sparingly as practicable. You should use LPG for as many things as
possible. You should also make sure that the your electric appliances
will run off 12 Volts. High power electrical equipment is bad news. A
1000 watt heater used on its own, will run for less than 1 1/2 hours,
500 watts less than 3 hours. 250 watts some 5 hours. As a general
rule something like a TV taking 50W or 4 amps for a few hours per day
is the heaviest load practicable.

The output voltage of a battery falls slowly as a charge is used, and
eventually the 12 V equipment will stop working. TVs etc. need as
many volts as possible. Thin long wires which may be supplied by the
van manufacturer or as a D.I.Y. addition, may have a high voltage
drop. If possible add extra wiring for TV, or other electronic
equipment, of thick wires ?2 sq mm? or preferably more, and as short
runs as practicable.

You should find out how much charge you use on an average day in the
van. The maths is simple 110AH=1320wattHours. watts=12*amps,
amps=watts/12, at 12 V DC. Find how many watts/amps each appliance
uses from labels or instructions. Multiply these by the hours each is
used daily. Add daily charge used in watthours or amperehours used by
each of your appliances together to give daily charge used. You
should replace this charge averaged over 2-3 days. There are many
alternative ways of replacing this charge, the choice is yours, and
will depend on your personal circumstances. Beware especially of red
"standby" LEDs, the circuit behind them uses about 7 watts, which is a
tiny amount of power, but they are on 24 hrs, less the hours they are
used, per day. Allow 12 ampere hours or 144 watthours *each* per day,
which is a significant drain on the battery.

You can use two batteries. An extra battery can be charged in the
back of the car via a split charge relay. This battery should be
securely fastened into the car. The batteries contain Sulphuric acid
which is nasty stuff and if the battery tips over it can do a lot of
harm to the car. Also if you have a crash a battery hitting the back
of your head may cause serious injury. The tiny amounts of hydrogen
and oxygen produced, should cause no problems, in a well ventilated
car. If you use marine batteries, many of these will dump the gasses
overboard via a plastic tube. If you go out in the car and "do"
things on most days while using the van, this should give you enough
charge. If you stay on site or just drive to the local town/beach this
method will not work for you. At some sites battery charging
facilities are available. Swap the batteries daily or at slightest
sign of low voltage. Be warned however that batteries are heavy and
cumbersome to change, and this is not a method for the unfit.

You should ensure that when the van is being towed the battery is
actually being charged. There are no less than three ways in which
the van can be wired, and three ways in which the car can be wired
giving ?5? combinations, some of which do not charge the van battery
when towing. see: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/towbar_electrics.htm.
If you tour continuously this will be important, but if you just tow
to a site and eventually home again you can probably ignore this
method.

Solar cells are available specifically for vans, but are rated
pointing directly at full sun, which rarely happens in UK, but they do
give some output even on cloudy days, unfortunately the retailers do
not tell you how much. If possible point your cells due south,
slightly below the maximum local elevation of the sun. As a general
rule you will need *big* cells 25 watts or preferably more. If you
calculate charge needed as above, you can get a better estimate of the
size of cells required.

Wind generators are rated at a high wind speed which rarely happens in
an English summer, they give a lower output at lower wind speeds.
The power from a wind generator varies as the *cube* of the windspeed,
so half the wind speed gives a eighth of the power. Many caravan sites
in the countryside are surrounded by trees, which reduce wind speeds.
Other sites by the seaside are better for wind generators. As a
general rule you will need a 25Watt generator or preferably more
powerful. If you calculate charge needed as above you can get a better
estimate of the size of generator required.

Portable petrol driven generators with 240Vac output can be plugged
into your van. They however make a noise which other campers find
objectionable. These generators will also charge your battery, but how
much will depend on the generator and charger in use. Most sites
will forbid their use during the night, so you will need to use 12V
for some of the time.

Invertors which change 12Vdc to 230Vac, are commonly available.
Increase the charge calculated above by up to 20% for things run via
invertors. These should be wired directly to the equipment which uses
230VAC. Do not wire the output of the invertor to the van 230VAC
sockets, which run the charger, which runs the invertor, which runs
the charger ....

--
Dave F