Caravan Club towing course cancellation!

Old May 6th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default Caravan Club towing course cancellation!

Mid morning today we had a phone message left to tell us a Caravan Toeing
course net Thursday had been cancelled. To say the least I am angry. We don't
currently have a caravan but decided to get one.

Before the NEC show we arranged to attend the CC course and then ordered the
caravan. Collection was arranged for the week after the course.

As its too far to go each day accommodation has been booked for two nights.
Leave arranged for the caravan pick up etc etc To rub salt in if we use the
CC insurance we will lose the 10% discount for having done the course. To
make it even worse they propose the two days leading up to Witson for the
replacement dates. Now we were going away with our new caravan as
undoubtedly would many others then!

On our message there was no offer to cover any costs incurred to us due to
there action. But I shall, be pressing for them to pay them,

Is the CC normally this incompetent or are we just unlucky??

Rant over!

Old May 6th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:04:02 GMT, "John"
wrote:

| Mid morning today we had a phone message left to tell us a Caravan Toeing
| course net Thursday had been cancelled. To say the least I am angry. We don't
| currently have a caravan but decided to get one.

Towing a caravan is an absolute doddle, just:
Remember that you have different speed limits and stick to them.
Position your car an extra foot from any obstruction.
Drive in one lower gear than you are used to, listen to your engine.
Use a stabiliser.
The van will follow on behind.

Book the next towing course to learn how to reverse, because that is
*counterintuitive*. Or go on a CCC towing course, which is probably much
the same as the CC one.

--
Dave F
Old May 6th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 7th 05, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "John" said:

Mid morning today we had a phone message left to tell us a Caravan Toeing
course net Thursday had been cancelled. To say the least I am angry.
We don't currently have a caravan but decided to get one....snip

I am not surprised at your anger, and suspect that it became impersonal
from the CC side as it was a message left and not a live conversation.

There used to be a fair number of vanners at CC head office and I would
be surprised if you did not get a reasonable response to a calmly worded
explanation of the problems the cancellation have foisted on you.

Normal towing of the van on public roads should be much as described by
Dave. To that I would add to remember your extra height when towing,
before turning into supermarket or other car parks and sometimes when
going in for petrol.

Most of the course is for reversing and placing the van on a pitch and a
quick word to the warden when you arrive at a CC site and you will be
lucky not to get away with an instant mini course there and then. The
site people will certainly see that you are OK and give all the help
needed. It is not in their interests to have you learning how not to
get onto a pitch.

Extremely annoying and I hope that you do not have to suffer any more
traumas before your happy caravanning gets under way.

Good luck, John.

Old May 7th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

wrote:

| Mid morning today we had a phone message left to tell us a Caravan

Toeing
| course net Thursday had been cancelled. To say the least I am angry. We

don't
| currently have a caravan but decided to get one.

Towing a caravan is an absolute doddle, just:
Remember that you have different speed limits and stick to them.
Position your car an extra foot from any obstruction.
Drive in one lower gear than you are used to, listen to your engine.
Use a stabiliser.
The van will follow on behind.

I agree with all this, but you particularly need to leave extra room when
turning, especially tight turns, as the caravan will take a tighter line
than the car. I find it difficult to explain, as it comes naturally to me
now, and the warning bleeper when you indicate helps.

When turning left at a T- junction for instance I would drive my car about
3/4 feet further across the line before beginning to turn than I would when
solo. You often see caravannners clip a kerb with their caravan wheel
because they do not take this in to consideration. Much more worrying is if
there is a fence or a railing instead of a pavement.

You can try this by driving very slowly some where quiet and marking a fake
kerb/junction with chalk on the ground, then see where your wheels go.

Neb

Old May 7th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

Old May 7th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen

"John" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

John it's easy... just remember to use your mirrors as often as possible,
especially when turning corners, I like to be able to see my nearside van
wheel when turning a left hand corner, it helps, but then I have a Discovery
as a tow car. Also, when reversing, always remember that if you are
reversing around a corner, you must initially turn the steering wheel the
wrong way to make the caravan go where you want it, then it's a case of
following the caravan with the car until you wish to straighten up, then all
you do is put more lock on the steering.

One more thing... walls... it's all too easy to forget the "swing out" on a
caravan when for instance, you are turning a right hand corner from a
country lane into a gateway. I have seen quite a number of vans damaged on
the rear end due to swing out so it's much safer to take a tight line into a
gateway rather than getting too close to a wall then making the turn. If
you're ever in doubt, do as I do and ask your passenger to get out of the
car and watch you round the corner. It might be a ball ache but it's much
cheaper in the long run.

One other thing, if you do have a 4x4 it's always best in my opinion to use
low box when reversing your van. it gives you so much more time to play
around with the positioning and a hell of a lot less wear on the clutch:-)

Stephen.

Old May 8th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:28:39 +0000 (UTC), "Stephen"
wrote:

| Also, when reversing, always remember that if you are
| reversing around a corner, you must initially turn the steering wheel the
| wrong way to make the caravan go where you want it, then it's a case of
| following the caravan with the car until you wish to straighten up, then all
| you do is put more lock on the steering.

Easier said than done. Book for the next course.
The longer the trailer/caravan the easier it is to reverse. With short
baggage trailers it is IME an absolute swine. I watch what the 40 tonne
articulated lorries can do and go green with envy.
--
Dave F