OT..Upgrading TomTom Go

Old May 10th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT..Upgrading TomTom Go

Hi,
Have you ever upgraded your TomTom Go maps?
I'm asking as I've just recieved an e-mail from TomTom offering an upgrade
of the maps via a new SD card for 79euro plus P+P.
Is this the only way and cost to upgrade? EG will shops/internet sites etc
have these new SD cards?
I guess this cost from TT will equate to around 50 'ish.

Please reply to News Group.

Old May 10th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

David wrote:

Hi,
Have you ever upgraded your TomTom Go maps?
I'm asking as I've just recieved an e-mail from TomTom offering an
upgrade of the maps via a new SD card for 79euro plus P+P.
Is this the only way and cost to upgrade? EG will shops/internet
sites etc have these new SD cards?
I guess this cost from TT will equate to around 50 'ish.

I guess that the shops will ultimately have them for outright purchase at a
higher price - but not as an upgrade for existing users.

I checked with Global Positioning Systems (from whom I bought my TTG) and
they say that the upgrades are *only* available direct from TomTom.

You can, of course, download the v5 software for free - but continue to use
your existing maps. This gives you quite a lot of new functionality as far
as route planning options are concerned.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old May 10th 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
..

I guess that the shops will ultimately have them for outright purchase at

higher price - but not as an upgrade for existing users.

I checked with Global Positioning Systems (from whom I bought my TTG) and
they say that the upgrades are *only* available direct from TomTom.

You can, of course, download the v5 software for free - but continue to

use
your existing maps. This gives you quite a lot of new functionality as far
as route planning options are concerned.
--

Should I go ahead with the new SD card purchase, what could happen to the
existing SD card would it be of use to anyone?

Please reply to News Group.

Old May 10th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:05:43 GMT, "David" wrote:

| Could I put it in my camera and erase the content then put photos on to it?

Probably, but test it on something inconsequential first.

--
Dave F
Old May 10th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 10th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

David wrote:

Should I go ahead with the new SD card purchase, what could happen to
the existing SD card would it be of use to anyone?

The software and maps on it are registered to your specific TTG - so it's no
use selling it to another TTG owner. You could always keep it as a backup to
which you could revert if the new v5 software and maps go tits up.

Could I put it in my camera and erase the content then put photos on
to it?

Provided you have a camera which works with SD cards, you should be able to
re-format the card in the camera and then use it to store pictures. I would
make a copy of the whole thing on your computer's hard disk, though, before
doing that.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old May 10th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Thanks HL.

I've been advised to look at
http://maps.google.co.uk/
which has maps dated 2005 from TeleAtlas which TomTom use also and check
changes done in road layouts near me in the past 3 years and see if Goodle
has them. I have checked a couple in which when I drive on them TomTom
thinks I'm fields and Goodle is out of date also.

I will there excercise caution before parting with upgrade money.

Please reply to News Group.