Ride-on mower as caravan mover

Old May 11th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tiscali

Default Ride-on mower as caravan mover

I've got a 4 berth Abbey Oxford and have a bit of trouble manouvering it at
my home.
It's time to buy a new lawn mower and I was wondering if a ride-on type like
the one B&Q have for 849, (11.5hp) would have enough power to pull the
caravan, on grass, on a level site. I've seen the ads for the "Mr Shifta"
type movers, but a mower, which is about the same price would serve a dual
purpose.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Trefor

Old May 12th 05, 05:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:48:48 +0100, "tiscali"
wrote:

| I've got a 4 berth Abbey Oxford and have a bit of trouble manouvering it at
| my home.
| It's time to buy a new lawn mower and I was wondering if a ride-on type like
| the one B&Q have for 849, (11.5hp) would have enough power to pull the
| caravan, on grass, on a level site. I've seen the ads for the "Mr Shifta"
| type movers, but a mower, which is about the same price would serve a dual
| purpose.
|
| Anyone have any experience with this?

CCC Sites uses the mowers to tow vans regularly, but they are big gutsy
ones. Not sure about cheap ones.

Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Truth on Usenet.
On Usenet Truth is defined by the person or group who shout
longest and loudest. It is not related to any reality.
Old May 12th 05, 05:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 12th 05, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "tiscali" said:

I've seen the ads for the "Mr Shifta"
type movers, but a mower, which is about the same price would serve a dual
purpose.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Hi Trefor.

On a visit to the CC Freshwater site a few years ago, before it was
upgraded, I remember the warden moving bogged dwon vans and a small
motor home with his ride-on mower.
At that time the site was quite small and so was the mower, so it does
appear possible.

As you would only be using it domestically I suggest that you look into
the plant hire shops. Several times in the past I have purchased used
half bag concrete mixers from them. The first time it was with a rent
or buy option so i could try the machine and if bought the rent was
compounded into the buy price.

The cheaper machines are well used, and it is easy to see how they are
getting to the end of their reliable hire life. However for domestic
use with a little owner\user TLC I get a couple of years use out of them
and then easily sell them privately. Worth a few phone calls?

HTH and good luck, John.

Old May 12th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

It's time to buy a new lawn mower and I was wondering if a ride-on type
like the one B&Q have for 849, (11.5hp) would have enough power to pull
the caravan, on grass,

I've been checking eBay for caravan movers for a pal, but they're too
expensive. Need it only to pull the caravan over a shallow kerb edge and
across a sloping footpath. Your query reminded me of one that looks like an
adapted horticultural implement. I'm sure it's a rotavator with the blades
removed and a tow ball fastened to the arm.
DaveK.

Old May 12th 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

This is an excellent idea as a towball can easily be fitted to a Lawn
Tractor. Use the long-necked towball if you have an Alko stabilised coupling
on your 'van. Best type is the one that looks like a miniature Tractor,
rather than a "Ride-on".

--
All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,