Propane Gas Regulators

Old May 13th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

Default Propane Gas Regulators

I have a Hobby which is fitted with a Truma Heater which specifies that has
Propane gas pressure should be 30 Mbar. The only regulators I can seem to
get over here for Propane are 37 Mbar. Can I safely use these or is there
someone able to supply regulators at the lower pressure ready to fit to
Calor cylinders?

Many thanks for any help given

Jim

Old May 13th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"jim.johnson" wrote in message
I have a Hobby which is fitted with a Truma Heater which specifies that has
Propane gas pressure should be 30 Mbar. The only regulators I can seem to
get over here for Propane are 37 Mbar. Can I safely use these or is there
someone able to supply regulators at the lower pressure ready to fit to
Calor cylinders?

I asked exactly the same question of Hymer UK and they said just use the
37Mbar reg and it'll be OK. TBH I suppose it is OK, propane at 37Mbar gives
out less heat then butane at 30Mbar so you're not going to burn out your
appliances, all that happens is the flame 'roars' a bit on the cooker but
does no harm..

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 13th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

"Andy_R" wrote in message

"jim.johnson" wrote in message
I have a Hobby which is fitted with a Truma Heater which specifies that
has Propane gas pressure should be 30 Mbar. The only regulators I can
seem to get over here for Propane are 37 Mbar. Can I safely use these or
is there someone able to supply regulators at the lower pressure ready to
fit to Calor cylinders?

I asked exactly the same question of Hymer UK and they said just use the
37Mbar reg and it'll be OK. TBH I suppose it is OK, propane at 37Mbar
gives out less heat then butane at 30Mbar so you're not going to burn out
your appliances, all that happens is the flame 'roars' a bit on the cooker
but does no harm..

Rgds

Andy R

Yes, I had noticed the roar on the cooker. The fridge instructions said 37
would do, but it was Truma's part sheet which made me wonder whether there
might be a problem. I seem to remember that other members of this group
have already been down this road and I wondered they had had any problems.
Thanks Reg for your comments.

Jim

Old May 13th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:46:17 GMT, "jim.johnson"
wrote:

I have a Hobby which is fitted with a Truma Heater which specifies that has
Propane gas pressure should be 30 Mbar. The only regulators I can seem to
get over here for Propane are 37 Mbar. Can I safely use these or is there
someone able to supply regulators at the lower pressure ready to fit to
Calor cylinders?

I have a Hymer with the 30 mb regulator fitted, and in it's first
summer I had a problem with the regulator producing over pressure.
Lowdhams sent out a replacement to me whilst I was on holiday. The
effect was to make the pan supports on the cooker glow bright red,
which is not to be recommended. What it did to other parts of the
system I do not know.
There are two types of 30 mb reulator one is fitted directly to the
propane cylinder via an adapter with a low pressure pipe connecting it
to the caravans system, this is the standard german fitting and IIRR
it is the one fitted to Hobby caravans. If you ring Lowdhams (
Huddersfield branch is (01484 642613 ) they will sell you one and post
it to you.
The second is the system being fitted to Uk vans since 2003 and
consists of a regulator fitted to the caravan supply with a high
pressure hose going to the gas cylinder, I presume that any dealer who
supplies new caravans must have these available for their customers.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old May 14th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill. I thought you had a Hobby yourself in the past, but the
problem is of course the same. I spoke to Loudhams this morning , but their
parts dept. are closed on Saturdays, So I will contact them on Monday. I
suspect the more elegant solution is to go for one of the new regulators
where 30Mbar suits all. My local dealer stocks those. I hope it will be
possible to connect both cylinders via a Y junction.

Many thanks

Jim

Old May 14th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:12:08 GMT, "jim.johnson"
wrote:

Thanks Bill. I thought you had a Hobby yourself in the past, but the
problem is of course the same. I spoke to Loudhams this morning , but their
parts dept. are closed on Saturdays, So I will contact them on Monday. I
suspect the more elegant solution is to go for one of the new regulators
where 30Mbar suits all. My local dealer stocks those. I hope it will be
possible to connect both cylinders via a Y junction.

The two 30mbar regulators that I described are the ones where as you
say 30mbar suits all. With the type like the ones fitted on the modern
Hobby's and Hymers and the like you would need two regulators and then
feeding a Y junction ( I presume you mean a crossover valve ) would
be easy, With the other version which has high pressure hoses to the
cylinder I think you might find it more difficult though I suspect
that there will be a solution out there sitting on caravan dealers
shelves if you are prepared to pay the price.

(remove the spam to reply)