Old Style UK Paper License

Old May 14th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

Default Old Style UK Paper License

I heard somewhere that at some point the old style paper driving license
would not be valid if driving in Europe & that they should be renewed for
the new style.
Is this true?

SH

Old May 14th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Martin Edwards

Dunno, but I hope so!!

As a Northern Ireland resident we've had photo licences for ever. How can
you possibly prover that you have any right to drive a vehicle if all you
have is a piece of paper with A name and AN address? I heard a while ago
that more than 25% of people who passed mainland UK driving tests weren't
the people whose name was on the form!!!!!

Scary!!!!

Old May 14th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alec

"Springtime" [spam] wrote in message
I heard somewhere that at some point the old style paper driving license
would not be valid if driving in Europe & that they should be renewed for
the new style.
Is this true?

No. Your old green/pink paper licence is still valid in Europe, combined
with a photo ID like passport. DVLA has no plans to recall old licences and
replace them with photocard + paper counterpart. But next time you renew
your licence, say for a change of address, you can only get photocard +
counterpart and it's free.
If you still have all green licence (from 1970's), some countries like Italy
officially require an official translation (used to be available free from
AA/RAC or TCI - Italian motoring org) or international driving permit.

Alec

Old May 14th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

"Springtime" [spam] wrote in message
I heard somewhere that at some point the old style paper driving license
would not be valid if driving in Europe & that they should be renewed for
the new style.
Is this true?

If your Paper one is the really old then no for Europe. I changed my paper
one to the current paper one years ago to allow its use in Europe.
I do now in fact now have the plastic card one with my photo on, this saves
I believe having to carry my passport when driving.

Please reply to News Group.

Old May 14th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
bill lord

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:19:43 GMT, "David"
wrote:

If your Paper one is the really old then no for Europe.

I used my green licence issued in the early 1970's in Spain last year
to hire a car, no problems at all. I presume that if it is acceptable
for this purpose then it is acceptable for any.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old May 14th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

wrote:

If your Paper one is the really old then no for Europe.

I used my green licence issued in the early 1970's in Spain last year
to hire a car, no problems at all. I presume that if it is acceptable
for this purpose then it is acceptable for any.

Do not think the car rental firm would be bothered it is the police you have
to bother about.

Please reply to News Group.