Zig unit

Old May 14th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

Default Zig unit

My son has recently acquired a 1990 Talbot Bedouin Camper van which he is
trying to repair before going on holiday. The electrics seem a bit
confusing, there is something called a Zig DCU-3 unit which seems to convert
240ac to nominally 12 Volt DC, I assume it's for charging a leisure battery
when hooked up.
There are 2 batteries in the vehicle both located under the bonnet but there
does not appear to be any feed from the aux batt when the switch is on.
although there is some 13Volts on the aux battery. there is a fuse box and
the fuses seem OK.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for this van, or failing that a
description of how it's supposed to work.
I'm a retired electronic engineer so I'm fully aware of dangers and inverter
voltages etc.
Regards
Tom

Old May 14th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Tom" wrote in message
My son has recently acquired a 1990 Talbot Bedouin Camper

Someone at uk.rec.motorcaravans may know.
My 1983 Swift Cottingham had a Zig unit. It was brilliant 'cos it was simple
and effective without all the complications which came in later.
Looked like a plastic bread box which held a battery and a built in battery
charger. Connection to mains supply kept the battery charged, which supplied
power to low voltage equipment. Recommended to keep a battery in circuit but
it would run the van electrics without.
Came supplied with an extra plug and socket which you could fit in the boot
of the car so if you were camping on a site without mains, you could take
the whole box of tricks with you and let the car charge it up whilst out and
about.
DaveK.

Old May 14th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

I don;t know the specific unit but the general idea goes something like:-

Of the two batteries under the bonnet, one will be the vehicle battery which
will be a traditional car type battery for starting the engine. The second
battery should be a leisure battery attached to the first battery by a split
charging relay. The leisure battery should only be in the vehicle circuit
when the alternator is charging. When the engine is off the vehicle battery
should be out of the circuit.

The Zig unit will do as you say, take 240V and provide up to 13.8V dc, to
supply the habitation area when a mains hook up is available. There should
be a selector switch to allow the unit to run from the Zig unit without the
leisure battery in circuit. This is not an ideal situation as these units
are quite raw in their output and not very powerful. The addition of the
battery helps smooth things out a bit.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Old May 14th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"davek" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
My son has recently acquired a 1990 Talbot Bedouin Camper

Someone at uk.rec.motorcaravans may know.

See you already did - got a useful response.
daveK.

Old May 16th 05, 04:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Try: http://www.zigelectronics.co.uk/

Jim

Old May 16th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

"
Try: http://www.zigelectronics.co.uk/

Jim

Thanks for that, seems to have changed to
http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/index1.htm
Tom