'Hot' leisure battery

Old May 16th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

Default 'Hot' leisure battery

Hello all,

The maintenance free 110amp leisure battery in the caravan became very hot
on a recent holiday and I bought a new battery. Also about the same time
the grey 12s cable was damaged externally and I have replaced it.

Since these events the 12 v interior circuit ( lights, pump etc ) has failed
when on battery ( it's ok on mains electrics ) and the meter on the charge
unit fluctuates. I have a digital multimeter but am very limited in my
knowledge as to how to use it. I have established there is 12.85 volts on
the battery but when I try the battery cables the voltage drops to 11.5volts
within a matter of three feet. I am wondering whether some of the wiring was
'cooked' at the same time as the battery. Is this possible?

Can anyone tell me what checks I can do?

Thanks

Mick

Old May 16th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Physically follow the cable from battery to fusebox and thence to consumer
units to check for high resistance connections. Heat is the result of trying
to pass current through a high resistance (poor) connection. Look for signs
of burning at all connections such as terminal strips and fuseholders. You
may need to trace the connections inside the car as well as you may have
inadvertently made an incorrect connection. It is also possible that one of
the fuses has developed a poor contact in it's fuseholder. Do you have any
maintenance information (caravan handbook) for your caravan model series?
The Haynes Caravan Manual is good value for any servicing you may wish to
do.

--
All the best, Peter.

Old May 17th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Mick
writes
Hello all,

The maintenance free 110amp leisure battery in the caravan became very hot
on a recent holiday and I bought a new battery. Also about the same time
the grey 12s cable was damaged externally and I have replaced it.

Since these events the 12 v interior circuit ( lights, pump etc ) has failed
when on battery ( it's ok on mains electrics ) and the meter on the charge
unit fluctuates. I have a digital multimeter but am very limited in my
knowledge as to how to use it. I have established there is 12.85 volts on
the battery but when I try the battery cables the voltage drops to 11.5volts
within a matter of three feet. I am wondering whether some of the wiring was
'cooked' at the same time as the battery. Is this possible?

Can anyone tell me what checks I can do?

Thanks

Mick

Check the tightness of both connectors onto the battery and also the
connection of the cables onto the clamps. Switch off all appliances and
then check your voltages again. There should be no drop with zero
current being drawn. Wiring insulation can be damaged by heat and the
wire itself can become brittle.

Just a thought, ensure your fridge 12v is switched off. It may be that
in replacing your 12s cable you have somehow hooked the fridge onto the
battery supply. That might account for the voltage drop.
--
hugh

Old May 19th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

Problem solved... and thanks to Pete and Hugh.... A methodical approach,
which you both highlighted, and I found that one of the battery cables had a
hidden nick in it......Which surprised me as the other times I've had
something like this it has been in the thin internal cable in the caravan,
or a connector.
Thanks again.
Mick

Old May 20th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Mick" wrote in message
Hello all,

The maintenance free 110amp leisure battery in the caravan became very hot
on a recent holiday and I bought a new battery. Also about the same time
the grey 12s cable was damaged externally and I have replaced it.

I see from a later post you have fixed the fault but why did the battery get
hot in the first place? Have you checked the charge voltage?

Paul