Fridge cooling in france "AGAIN"

Old May 16th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony penner

Default Fridge cooling in france "AGAIN"

Can anyone direct me to the webpage which shows how to rig up 2 computer
fans and a fish tank thermostat to cool fridge, i bookmarked it last year
but had to format and lost it.

Thanx in advance

Old May 17th 05, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Tony Penner" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to the webpage which shows how to rig up 2 computer
fans and a fish tank thermostat to cool fridge, i bookmarked it last year
but had to format and lost it.

Working on the assumption that whenever the fridge is on the 12v living area
supply is also on I simply wired the fans into the switched side of the main
12v power supply. These things draw so little power that it's just not
worth getting involved in anything more complex and they make a tremendous
difference to the efficiency of the fridge in any weather.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 17th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Tony Penner" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to the webpage which shows how to rig up 2 computer
fans and a fish tank thermostat to cool fridge, i bookmarked it last
year but had to format and lost it.

Working on the assumption that whenever the fridge is on the 12v living
area supply is also on I simply wired the fans into the switched side of
the main 12v power supply. These things draw so little power that it's
just not worth getting involved in anything more complex and they make a
tremendous difference to the efficiency of the fridge in any weather.

so where do you place the fans and in which direction is the airflow?

I've mounted mine on the inside of the top vent blowing out, works a treat.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 17th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

This is the best mod I have ever done in my van fridge is improved
measurably I cannot recommend doing it enough. You are correct fans on top
blowing this creates a flow of air from bottom to top over the fridge. Just
use 2 12 volt pc fans and add a switch. My switch is in the cupboard. I
carry 2 spare fans with me. In France 2 years ago it was a Godsend my pals
fridge could not cope at all so we fitted my spare fans one afternoon. The
fridge went from useless to freezing the stuff on the top shelf power drain
is very small. And cold beer........well worth it.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old May 17th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
. uk...
This is the best mod I have ever done in my van fridge is improved
measurably I cannot recommend doing it enough. You are correct fans on top
blowing this creates a flow of air from bottom to top over the fridge. Just
use 2 12 volt pc fans and add a switch. My switch is in the cupboard. I
carry 2 spare fans with me. In France 2 years ago it was a Godsend my pals
fridge could not cope at all so we fitted my spare fans one afternoon. The
fridge went from useless to freezing the stuff on the top shelf power drain
is very small. And cold beer........well worth it.

Just a brief addition

Get a 220/250V AC to 4.5 / 12 volt DC Wallwart ( Like the Battery eliminators )
its sufficient to run 2 x 4 inch computer fans , you can control the speed and
direction of the air flow by using the 2 switches on Wallwart ,but do use a low
amperage fuse in series between the Wallwart and the fans to make it safe . (
Wallwart a crass American expression ).

DieSea