To get to Brittany?

Old May 17th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe

Default To get to Brittany?

Hello,

We are trying to figure out the cheapest way to get to Brittany from the
south coast. The ideal route is for us it seems is Plymouth to Roscoff, but
the fares seem through the roof. Can anyone make any suggestions, we have
never been to France on a ferry before. We would be travelling from the West
Midlands.

Joe

Old May 17th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

We are off to Carnac in August and are using Le Havre. It wasn't our first
choice bur prices persuaded us. We are taking a morning ferry from
Portsmouth so will be able to drive to site in good time. We use Le Havre
regularly and, if you can avoid the town we find not too many problems.
news

Old May 17th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I also live in the West Midlands (Walsall) and travel to Brittany with our
van I refuse to pay the ferry price to Roscoff anymore.Next year we are
going back to Camaret (Northern Brittany) and intend to drive from Calais it
takes a good day (or an overnight is required) but saves a fortune as the
Calais crossing with van is about 160 return 2 years ago we paid 600 to
Roscoff I hear its now over 800 !!! We are going to arrive in Calais at 7AM
drive down to Normandy for an overnight( did Normandy last year for the D
Day stuff) and then do the last few hrs the next day. We intend to add 2
days onto the holiday and go for 16 days to compensate. The drive is a good
easy rout and saves a fortune its about 550 miles 2 tanks of Diesel 100
(Mondeo) (200 return) 600 saving and I like Normandy so its no problem at
all.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old May 17th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ken

But that amphibious American RV that was posted on the newsgroups a while
back.

ken

Old May 17th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ken

Old May 18th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "Tinkapace" said:
...........................8=
drive down to Normandy for an overnight( did Normandy last year for the D
Day stuff) and then do the last few hrs the next day.

I have found that by arriving at your long stay site mid morning you get
a far better choice of pitch, and try to arrange my travels accordingly.

HTH John.
Old May 18th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
...........................8=

Old May 18th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Bowyer

"Joe" wrote in message
news
Hello,

We are trying to figure out the cheapest way to get to Brittany from the
south coast. The ideal route is for us it seems is Plymouth to Roscoff,
but
the fares seem through the roof. Can anyone make any suggestions, we have
never been to France on a ferry before. We would be travelling from the
West
Midlands.

Joe

It depends a lot on when you are going - we tend to use Portsmouth-Cherbourg
or Le Havre cos from the midlands (we live in stafford) Portsmouth is the
easiest port to get to, is quick, easy to find, good roads etc, etc.

We just priced mid august with P&O to Le Havre with a 7m van at 250.00
return (excluding cabins), but that was for a weds am sailing. It tends to
get a bit more pricey at weekends - 287.50 for a Friday sailing was quoted.
We did Carnac from Cherbourg a couple of years ago in just under 3 hours (I
think) and was a nice easy jaunt along mainly empty autoroutes. Bear in
mind your fuel and toll charges though when making your assessment. You can
get a lot of fuel and tolls in before you get to the expensive crossing cost
!

HTH

Steve

ps: you'll love Brittany..lovely. IMO not quite as nice as Normandy, but
that's just my opinion.