Fewer visitors

Old May 18th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat

Default Fewer visitors

I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?
Thanks

Old May 18th 05, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?

Maybe the weather, it's not been very warm this year, maybe another site
near you has opened/advertised this year, there could be a hundred reasons
but I doubt it's got anything to do with fuel prices. Even if they go up
20%, if you can afford 50 fuel for a weekend you can afford 60. Fuel
prices have got to go through the roof before it stops leisure travel

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 18th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?

Maybe the weather, it's not been very warm this year, maybe another site
near you has opened/advertised this year, there could be a hundred reasons
but I doubt it's got anything to do with fuel prices. Even if they go up
20%, if you can afford 50 fuel for a weekend you can afford 60. Fuel
prices have got to go through the roof before it stops leisure travel

I'd agree with that. The number of vehicles of all types on the roads
increases inexorably despite rising fuel prices. It has been cold though ...

Mary

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 18th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Pat" wrote in news:1116402779.207149.124450
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?

The very early Easter meant that the season didn't have its usual kick-
start and the lousy weather hasn't helped.

A couple of days ago, retailers announced that April was the worst month
for sales for over a decade. They blamed the increase in fuel duty,
increase in council tax, uncertainty in the housing market, etc. Whatever
the cause, consumers are much more cautious and I guess that carries over
to whether to go caravanning this early.

FWIW, I've noticed the hit rate on Camping Southwest is about ten percent
lower than this time last year. Search engine positions are about the
same as last year, which makes me suspect that fewer people want to go
caravanning right now.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Camping Southwest

http://www.camping-southwest.com/

Old May 18th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Pat came up with the following;:
I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?

Nope, little to do with Fuel Rate alone, much more to do with 'everything'
.... Weather, congestion, work, 'other stuff' etc ...

Fuel would have to be a hell of a lot higher priced before I'd stop using
it, especially as most of my leisure fuel is actually paid for by 'someone
else'. The same thought still applies, now I've thought about it, when
I have to pay for fuel myself, though. It'd have to be so much higher that
it'd be political suicide for anyone who introduced it ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 18th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a caravanner and also run a small caravan site. This May we have
had fewer visitors than normal and there also seem to be fewer caravans
on the road. Is this a general thing? I wonder if the rising price in
fuel is having an effect. Any thoughts abvout this?

Well there is the weather, more like October here, and like October it is
getter colder.
I think more caravaneers are joining clubs and attending rallies in fields
which are not caravan sites. This gives friendships and lower site fees
etc.
If you can take rallies I suggest you give your location here and you might
just catch the eye of a club rally organiser who is looking for sites.

Please reply to News Group.