Breakdown/recovery service for caravanners

Old August 7th 03, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Susan Hassett

Default Breakdown/recovery service for caravanners

Looking back on this group's archives, I see that the above topic was
discussed at the turn of the year. Green Flag, Mayday and RAC Arrival
seemed to come out the best.

One aspect that didn't seem to be mentioned was the possibility of multiple
drop-off points. Our caravan is stored about 20 miles from where we live.
The nearest dealership for our make of car is also about 20 miles from where
we live - but in a different direction. So, in the event of a breakdown, my
ideal breakdown service would take us to the storage compound to drop off
the caravan, carry on to the Nissan dealership, then drive us home.

I suspect I'm being totally unrealistic! Has anyone here had to deal with
this problem? How did you cope? Which breakdown service provider were you
with and what did you think of them?

Many thanks.

Susan

[I should add that we're currently with the AA, but have discovered that for
a caravan the length of ours - 22.5 feet - they will only recover it
"locally" i.e. to within 10 miles of the breakdown. So we're looking around
for alternatives.]

Old August 7th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

CC Mayday by Greenflag

Multiple Journeys and drop offs.

Old August 7th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:55:19 +0000 (UTC), "Susan Hassett"
wrote:

One aspect that didn't seem to be mentioned was the possibility of multiple
drop-off points. Our caravan is stored about 20 miles from where we live.
The nearest dealership for our make of car is also about 20 miles from where
we live - but in a different direction. So, in the event of a breakdown, my
ideal breakdown service would take us to the storage compound to drop off
the caravan, carry on to the Nissan dealership, then drive us home.

I suspect I'm being totally unrealistic! Has anyone here had to deal with
this problem? How did you cope? Which breakdown service provider were you
with and what did you think of them?

CC Mayday do this, I've never had to use it with the van on the back
but it is specifically mentioned in the documentation.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 7th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

In article , "Susan Hassett"
writes:

[...]

Green Flag and Mayday are the same only Mayday is the title used for CC
members. I'm a member of Mayday and have used them twice and can't fault them.
Looking at your circumstances I can relate the experience of a friend who
whilst on holiday with us had his car break down. It couldn't be fixed at the
side of the road so he was towed back to the caravan site by Mayday where he
finished his holiday with us. On the day of departure Mayday piggybacked him
home with the caravan behind. Took him to his home address, dropped the 'van
off and then took his car to the local garage for repair. Sounds similar to
what you are on about.
Give them a ring and put your question to them and see what they say.

harryB
Old August 7th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been HarryBurr1 who typed:

Snip::
:: Green Flag and Mayday are the same only Mayday is the title used for
:: CC members.

Not quite Greenflag is now owned and run by by the insurance co. Direct
Line.
Direct Line handle the calls despatch the relevent breakdown companies etc
for Mayday which is a group of under-writers organised by the CC, if you
look carefully at your Mayday documentation.

CC's Mayday is one of the only companies that if you breakdown on your way
to your destination, will take you there let you have your Holiday and if
you can't fix the car in the meantime bring you back home again, they will
also come out if you have an accident, the AA & RAC will send you a bill
afterwards, as it's not, in their words a 'breakdown'. Bring you fuel if you
run out, again some breakdown companies reckon that's not a 'breakdown',
I'll bet it has happened to more than a few of us! and will send you a bill
afterwards...
I have membership with Britannia, but I also have the 'recovery only' option
with Mayday only on the towcar, Just in case.....

I am involved in the recovery industry and we go out to people every day
that don't realise what cover they have... or don't have!! A lot of them
have been sold it or it comes with their insurance policies and in some
cases its very basic, but it's sold as 'breakdown cover' which is OK as long
as they are within 10 miles of their destination.

Remember its at least 2 a mile to get taken home or to a garage, If you
have an accident in Stirling and the Police call their contractor Its 180
to get your car released!!

So make sure whatever cover you take out suits your purposes whether you
drive more than one car, tow a caravan or travel long distances
Oh and if you have a moterhome some companies have different rates for
3500Kg GVW and over.

Des

---

Old September 21st 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

Looking back on this group's archives, I see that the above topic was
discussed at the turn of the year. Green Flag, Mayday and RAC Arrival

SNIP
this problem? How did you cope? Which breakdown service provider were you
with and what did you think of them?
Many thanks.
Susan

The best takes some beating.
http://www.roadsafety.org.uk

Does anyone use AUTOAID?
Cover is for member & spouse, any vehicle, includes caravan, accident or
breakdown, 24hr helpline. 28ukp. Supplied by BONCASTER LTD.

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)
http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk

Old September 22nd 03, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

"Susan Hassett" wrote in message

[...]

Sue

I am a member of Mayday and broke down in scotland a few years back,
they came to the site viewed the problem (an over heated automatic
gearbox on a two year old VW I was not impressed). They arranged
a collection by low loader for 9am the next morning, which was the
day of our departure.
They arrived on time and loaded up.
Brought us home to Merseyside, left the caravan at home on the drive
and then the car to the dealers 8 miles away.

Only one word of WARNING to all
that are recovered with the caravan being towed behind the recovery
truck. The tow hitch was a bit high and the back of the van had been
hitting the road on the way home, luckily only the awing rails that
were a inch or two longer that the body sides were caught and minor
scrapping on the bottom of both rear corners (I count my self lucky
that the van was not longer and badly damaged) the van has a shipping
length of 6.35m (about 20ft)

I did tell the recovery company about it and advised them to
lower the tow ball. I did not complain to Mayday. One to watch for.

Bill Delue

Old September 22nd 03, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Bill Delue" wrote in message

Only one word of WARNING to all
that are recovered with the caravan being towed behind the recovery
truck. ....

Another word of warning, make sure they do not exceed 60mph, my tyre went at
the high speed they travelled on the motorway.

Please reply to News Group.