First time taking a trailer to Europe - advice please?

Old May 21st 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning
Lobster

Default First time taking a trailer to Europe - advice please?

Subject says it all really; next weekend we're off to France for a week
of camping and have decided to take the trailer over for the first time.

Can anybody offer any words or wisdom for a first-timer? Are there any
special rules and regs I have to follow; eg what are the speed limits
for towing over there? What about weight?

Thanks
Old May 21st 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Strange!?

I thougt that UK was a part off Europe.

Gunnar in Sweden

Subject says it all really; next weekend we're off to France for a week

Old May 21st 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

wrote in message
Strange!?

I thougt that UK was a part off Europe.

Gunnar in Sweden

Very good Gunnar,

There are some people around this country that think we aren't, but besides
that the poster has got genuine concerns about the differences in the local
laws.

Cheers

Old May 21st 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Lobster" wrote in message
Subject says it all really; next weekend we're off to France for a week
of camping and have decided to take the trailer over for the first time.

Can anybody offer any words or wisdom for a first-timer? Are there any
special rules and regs I have to follow; eg what are the speed limits
for towing over there? What about weight?

Thanks
David

The towing weight laws are the same as the new ones here. If your car is
post 98 it will have a maximum towing limit stated that you must not exceed.

Cheers

Old May 21st 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning
JohnB

Lobster wrote:

Subject says it all really; next weekend we're off to France for a week
of camping and have decided to take the trailer over for the first time.

Can anybody offer any words or wisdom for a first-timer? Are there any
special rules and regs I have to follow; eg what are the speed limits
for towing over there? What about weight?

Never had any problems at all.
Just tow the trailer straight on and off the ferry and ride away to the
most suitable farm to camp at.
Neither were we ever charged to take it.

The children in the trailer led to slow progress on the climbs but
having pulled it over many of the French high passes, a trailer is
thoroughly recommended for family camping.

Don't worry about any regulations, except lighting, although even that
is unlikely to be enforced.

John B

Old May 22nd 05, 03:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:32:48 GMT, "David @ Home"
wrote:

| "Lobster" wrote in message
| Subject says it all really; next weekend we're off to France for a week
| of camping and have decided to take the trailer over for the first time.
|
| Can anybody offer any words or wisdom for a first-timer? Are there any
| special rules and regs I have to follow; eg what are the speed limits
| for towing over there? What about weight?
|
| Thanks
| David
|
| The towing weight laws are the same as the new ones here. If your car is
| post 98 it will have a maximum towing limit stated that you must not exceed.

Also if unbraked it must be less than 750 kg loaded, though I can not
imagine a camping trailer that weight. My caravan is only just over 750kg.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Beware of anyone posting X-No-Archive yes,