Stupid things to do with a caravan

Old May 21st 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

Default Stupid things to do with a caravan

Good day to every one. I think it is about time we all owned up to our
stupid errors. Now come on you know you have made a few over the years.
I once left Tenby in Wales to return home to west Berkshire towing my very
old sprite 400. several hours later I pulled of the motor way at the local
junction and was surprised how hard I had to brake as I slowed down for the
roundabout under the motorway. "Mmm" I thought to myself "better have a
look at the brakes on the van tomorrow." I arrived home and hopped out of
the car to apply the reversing lock (old fashioned system with a half pipe
to stop the thing moving) And hey presto I found out why the brakes on the
van had been so bad. The reversing lock was already on and I had in fact
driven all the way from Tenby to my home with no brakes what so ever on the
caravan. Thank goodness for the automatic systems we now have. Any one done
any thing dafter. Please keep to funny incidence I don't think we want to
hear about any really nasty situations.
John

--
www.g7bwi.co.uk

Old May 22nd 05, 05:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

"John White" wrote in message
[...]

Having difficulty finding a campsite entrance, I thought I saw a sign which
directed me into it. My mind was so fixed on finding the entrance, I
completely failed to see the bar with a sign written very clearly on it
giving a height clearance of 2.1m. The van lifted the supporting poles out
of the ground!

Jim

Old May 22nd 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"John White" wrote in
:

Good day to every one. I think it is about time we all owned up to our
stupid errors.

Two things to 'fess up:

- We currently store in a facility next to a golf driving range. When we
took the 'van the first time, I got confused and drove into the entrance
for the driving range instead of into the storage site. I had turned the
first corner of the access drive, which was too narrow for easy
reversing, before I realised my mistake. I carried on hoping the car park
would be large enough for me to turn around - it wasn't. They had to stop
the golfers' practice so that I could drive onto the driving range to
turn around.

- A couple of decades ago we first ventured over to France (you didn't
need a second mortgage to use the Roscoff Ferry then!) On the Lannion
bypass, we saw a sign for speed humps. However, there were none for the
several hundred metres to the next roundabout. After negotiating the
roundabout, I accelerated to normal driving speed when, BANG, I hit the
speed hump. The car almost left the ground. When I looked in my mirror, I
saw that the 'van was fully airborne. When we stopped we found the inside
of the 'van littered with the contents of the fridge and cupboards.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old May 22nd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 22 May 2005 11:24:32 GMT, Geoff Lane wrote:

| When we stopped we found the inside
| of the 'van littered with the contents of the fridge and cupboards.

I have fitted about 2 inch by 1/8 inch bits of wood across the bottom of
each locker and cupboard shelf. That keeps the stuff where it should be.

The fridge has a locking button which we always use.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Beware of anyone posting X-No-Archive yes,
Old May 22nd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 22nd 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Our first van (about 20 years ago) was a second hand Perle. Stopping at a
site on the north Devon coast (which was on a slope) I put the van brake on
and unhitched only to find the van accelerating backwards down the slope.
Flying by instinct rather than common sense I grabbed the hitch / jockey
wheel and dug my sandaled heels in only to find I too was heading south with
the van. We came to rest at a flimsy hedge about 4 feet from a cliff drop
watched by lets say a startled family.

Despite much improved van brakes nowadys and yes its "belt and braces" but
wherever there is a slope the experience has lead me to chock a wheel before
unhitching. Nothing I can do however about the amusement this episode has
given to the family over the years.

Mike

Old May 22nd 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 22 May 2005 15:29:27 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Despite much improved van brakes nowadys and yes its "belt and braces" but
wherever there is a slope the experience has lead me to chock a wheel before
unhitching. Nothing I can do however about the amusement this episode has
given to the family over the years.

If you did the same with a modern caravan you would have exactly the
same result,

(remove the spam to reply)