5th Wheel Trailers

Old May 23rd 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
The Mad Penguin

Default 5th Wheel Trailers

Hi
Does anyone in the group have any experience of american style 5th wheel
trailers? I am considering buying one but i am concerned about the licence
requirements and the weights/dimensions, i belive some of them i have seen
advertised may be too long to be able to tow legally in the UK. I Have
class c1+e on my licence but i belive it is restricted to 8250kg total
weight when towing a trailer.
Any help would be appreciated

Graham
Old May 24th 05, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"The Mad Penguin" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone in the group have any experience of american style 5th wheel
trailers? I am considering buying one but i am concerned about the licence
requirements and the weights/dimensions, i belive some of them i have seen
advertised may be too long to be able to tow legally in the UK. I Have
class c1+e on my licence but i belive it is restricted to 8250kg total
weight when towing a trailer.
Any help would be appreciated

IIRC the length restriction for an artic is 16.35 metres overall length.
The size of the drawing vehicle could be an issue, if it's under 3.5T the
trailer width is limited to 2 metres.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 24th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

IIRC the length restriction for an artic is 16.35 metres overall length.
The size of the drawing vehicle could be an issue, if it's under 3.5T the
trailer width is limited to 2 metres.

2.3m, and 7m long.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some get-outs for a 5th wheel
trailer. Something along the lines of:

1. It makes it an articulated vehicle, rather than a vehicle combination.
2. This makes the pickup a tractor. (i.e. no difference between 5th wheel
pickup and crew-cab artic tractor unit).
3. The vehicle MAM is above 3500kg.
4. This comes under the 2.55m? x 12m requirements.

Of course, this could be wishful thinking! You might even need a C1 licence
even when not towing and insurance could be more complicated.

If the 8250kg limit is a problem, you could always get your full C1+E
ticket.

However, I'm sure you'll find someone who is an expert on these matters
somewhere and can stop me babbling and extrapolating...

Christian.

Old May 24th 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Mad Penguin

Christian McArdle wrote:

1. It makes it an articulated vehicle, rather than a vehicle combination.
2. This makes the pickup a tractor. (i.e. no difference between 5th wheel
pickup and crew-cab artic tractor unit).
3. The vehicle MAM is above 3500kg.
4. This comes under the 2.55m? x 12m requirements.

Of course, this could be wishful thinking! You might even need a C1
licence even when not towing and insurance could be more complicated.

If the 8250kg limit is a problem, you could always get your full C1+E
ticket.

I Have been looking on the web, and yes, i think i am going to need a
vehicle above 3500kg to be able to tow a trailer over 7m, which dosn't
include any of the popular pick-up type 4x4's.

Most of the adverts for 5th wheelers seem to imply these can be used for
towing such a trailer, but i don't think this is the case, unless the
trailer is 7m or less.

As i have a C1+E licence this would not be a problem, I Have considered
upgrading but this involves 1, a medical 2, passing the C class Theory
exam 3, taking a practical test in a suitable vehicle and trailer (of
which the local LGV schools don't have), I have also enquired about taking
my C+E licence, but this is taking things a bit far!

Maybe there are some other rules regarding 5th wheeler's? but as yet i have
not found anything. This seems to be a bit of a gray area, everyone i have
spoken to so far is unable to give me any definite answers.

If there are any 5th wheeler's out there, what do you drive?

Any comments?

Graham..

Old May 24th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
t:

However, I'm sure you'll find someone who is an expert on these
matters somewhere and can stop me babbling and extrapolating...

I'm not an expert, but this topic came up some time ago. Hopefully, it's
still in the archives (groups.google.com if nothing else). IIRC, the Fifth
Wheel Company (who manufacture fifth-wheelers for the European market)
towed with a re-plated Nissan Navara to give a gross train weight of 7
tonnes! Anyway, here's one of the threads from about that time:
http://tinyurl.com/8c3t4

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane