European cover question

Old May 23rd 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default European cover question

Hi all

Just bought a new Hyundai Sante Fe with 3 yrs RAC cover (inc
European). Problem is the cover will only tow me to an authorised
dealer/agent if I break down. It will not repatriate my car/van if
required.

I called RAC - spent 10 minutes on the phone to upgrade the cover
-when the asked how long the van was. "7.07 metres" I replied. I am
then told that 7m is the limit with the RAC unless it is through the
C&CC.

I have been quoted 79 for 90 days and 120 for unlimited European
cover. This seems ok - as an upgrade. My dilemma is this:

1 Do I shop around for someone else (losing the already active
Hyundai RAC cover benefit - and paying again)

or

2 Lie. I have actually been home and meaured the van - and it
is about 6.9m - a whole 17cm shorter than the 7.07 the manufacturers
quote!

Any thoughts or opinions...?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Old May 23rd 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lobster

Simon Hawthorne wrote:

2 Lie. I have actually been home and meaured the van - and it
is about 6.9m - a whole 17cm shorter than the 7.07 the manufacturers
quote!

Well if it's genuinely 6.9m, then just tell the RAC that - and you're
not lying, are you?!! There's no reason why you should have to consult
the manufacturer's data to find the length; I would have thought that
using a tape measure was a much more usual and accepted method.

Old May 23rd 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:46:03 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

There's no reason why you should have to consult
the manufacturer's data to find the length

..............unless you are on the phone to them, at work - miles from
the actual caravan!

S.

Old May 24th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I called RAC - spent 10 minutes on the phone to upgrade the cover
-when the asked how long the van was. "7.07 metres" I replied. I am
then told that 7m is the limit with the RAC unless it is through the
C&CC.

I suspect the 7m limit is because it is actually against the law to tow one
larger than 7m unless you have a vehicle 3500kg to start with.

Christian.

Old May 24th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I suspect the 7m limit is because it is actually against the law to tow
one
larger than 7m unless you have a vehicle 3500kg to start with.

P.S. This isn't because they care about you breaking the law, but because to
offer the cheap rate, they need the flexibility to tow it with a standard
van, which will not exceed 3500kg so must not tow a caravan 7m.

Christian.

Old May 24th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Bought cover today with Red Pennant - 112 for full annual cover -
seems like good value.. and cheaper, stand alone than it would have
been for me to top up my RAC cover (for vans less than 7m!)

Thanks all

Simon