Earwigs

Old August 7th 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick Parker

Default Earwigs

Hi everyone,
having just read the thread on Bug Zapping, I was thinking about a
recent trip out we had which was slightly spoiled by the number of earwigs,
especially when taking the awning down.

Has anyone got any suggestions for keeping earwigs away from the van /
awning.

I had heard of a device that sounds out a sound wave but I'm not sure if
this would be suitable, as we have a dog.

I look forward to reading an advice that you can give me.

Thanks

Mick Parker

---

Old August 7th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

Mick Parker wrote in message

Has anyone got any suggestions for keeping earwigs away from the van /
awning.

I had heard of a device that sounds out a sound wave but I'm not sure if
this would be suitable, as we have a dog.

They don't work.

Bill

Old August 8th 03, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:35:08 +0100, "Mick Parker"
wrote:

| Hi everyone,
| having just read the thread on Bug Zapping, I was thinking about a
| recent trip out we had which was slightly spoiled by the number of earwigs,
| especially when taking the awning down.
|
| Has anyone got any suggestions for keeping earwigs away from the van /
| awning.
|
| I had heard of a device that sounds out a sound wave but I'm not sure if
| this would be suitable, as we have a dog.
|
| I look forward to reading an advice that you can give me.

Earwigs have very little brain.
They crawl upwards into dark places.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0800/earwigs.asp
Trap earwigs by placing upturned flower pots loosely stuffed with hay or
straw on canes among plants being attacked. Every morning shake out the
pots and remove the earwigs. This may not protect plants when earwigs are
abundant but it is a useful means of monitoring their numbers.

Dave F Ain't Google wonderful
Old August 8th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

| I look forward to reading an advice that you can give me.

I have always had a soft spot for earwigs. The males have curved pincers
and the females have straight ones. Not a lot of people know that but I
have been able to impress people with this knowledge since I was a little
boy. Earwigs are also good at flying. They use their pincers to refold
their wings. They also look after their young.
That's about all the advice I have without doing some research :-)

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old August 8th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ali

I have always had a soft spot for earwigs. The males have curved pincers
and the females have straight ones. Not a lot of people know that but I
have been able to impress people with this knowledge since I was a little
boy. Earwigs are also good at flying. They use their pincers to refold
their wings. They also look after their young.
That's about all the advice I have without doing some research :-)

Isn't nature amazing?...

Hey!! if they fly, perhaps we can kill them in the bug zapper!!! :-)

Old August 8th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

Dave Dew wrote:
I look forward to reading an advice that you can give me.

I have always had a soft spot for earwigs. The males have curved
pincers and the females have straight ones. Not a lot of people know
that but I have been able to impress people with this knowledge since
I was a little boy. Earwigs are also good at flying. They use their
pincers to refold their wings. They also look after their young.
That's about all the advice I have without doing some research :-)

Regards.

Dave Dew

so it was a male one that locked onto my ex girlfriends leg years ago when she slid into
her sleeping bag ..... jeepers she squealed ...

Some peopel get the heeby jeebies about spiders or mice ... me its earwigs ... yeuch ...

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com