Flat Tyres during travel - quick fix ???

Old August 7th 03, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default Flat Tyres during travel - quick fix ???

Graham tried to scribble ...

Hi all,

I've just travelled from the english mids to central scotland and
back over the weekend. During the trip I was amazed to see so many
vans with flat tyres. One pure caravanner had the flat on the
outside so was correctly waiting for the recovery vehicle. Folks were
stopping to assist others so I didn't feel too bad just passing by.

My point .... a mate took delivery of a Rover200 MG. No spare tyre -
just a canister of repair and reinflate. Ok if a puncture but
useless if ripped. Has anyone used such a thing on a van. It woudl
have saved so many of htose caravanners last week if they had a can.
I read you can travel at 30mph to get the repair done properly. cans
cost 4.50 so it seems like a good idea. Its no substitute for a
spare wheel - but is quicker and easier to pop in the flat whilst
stuck on the hard shoulder.

Any experiences.....

thanks in advance

Graham

I have used them often, not often on caravans though. I always have at
least one tin of tyre weld or whichever brand I happen to see in the car
anyway, whether I have a spare or not. People have been known to puncture
more than once .. As I also ride a Trials bike, it's come in handy with
this as well ..

They are only a 'get you going' fix until you can get a new tyre or get it
fixed properly, but IMHO worth every penny, if only as insurance. I don't
know (or care really) what the shelf life of a tin is, but even if I haven't
used one I replace it new every year, just in case ..

--
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/