classic towcars

Old May 25th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jon GIBBS

Default classic towcars

I was thinking about buying an older second car that I can use for towing my
van with. Ideally something a bit classic with good spares availability and
preferably with an auto box. The first ones I came up with were Mk1/2
Granada, saab99 or Volvo 240. Does anyone else use a practical classic as a
towcar?

Old May 25th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seroxat Mad

You need a Sweeney Granarda

Old May 25th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seroxat Mad

You need a Sweeney Granarda

Old May 25th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

jon GIBBS wrote:

I was thinking about buying an older second car that I can use for towing my
van with. Ideally something a bit classic with good spares availability and
preferably with an auto box. The first ones I came up with were Mk1/2
Granada, saab99 or Volvo 240. Does anyone else use a practical classic as a
towcar?

Not any more, but I towed with Volvo 240s for twenty years. I
miss them now, when front wheel drive struggles on damp grass.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old May 25th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I have a Volvo 164 complete with towbar. 3 Litre straight six with twin
carbs and automatic gearbox. You won't know you have a caravan on the back
with this one. Road tax is free as well.

--
All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

Old May 26th 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

There has been a low mileage (30,000 I think) 164 for sale at a local garage
for some time but I think it has just gone. I used to tow with one and also
Volvo 121,145,144 and 244; all were excellent. I now use a Volvo XC70 but
for a classic I have a Rover 110, another "standard" for towing in its day
and well supported by spares but no auto available.
Barry

Old May 27th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Garry

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:07:51 GMT, "jon GIBBS"
wrote:

I was thinking about buying an older second car that I can use for towing my
van with. Ideally something a bit classic with good spares availability and
preferably with an auto box. The first ones I came up with were Mk1/2
Granada, saab99 or Volvo 240. Does anyone else use a practical classic as a
towcar?

Hi Jon,
I had exactly the same idea last week, and came up with with exactly
the same shortlist.
I'm looking for a mid-80s car to match my 'van and create a "period"
outfit. Rover SD1 or P6 are also possibilities.