Motor Homes

Old May 26th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

Default Motor Homes

I know this is not the group for this inquiry, but has anyone switched from
a caravan to a motor home and would like to make any comments.

How do you manage on site when you need to get out to the shops or go
touring around?

We have a Hobby van and were thinking of switching to the self propelled
version which has a Fiat Engine. Has anyone any experience of Hobby Motor
Homes or any comments to make about the Fiat engine?

Many thanks

Jim

Old May 26th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"jim.johnson" wrote in message

I switched the other way

I know this is not the group for this inquiry, but has anyone switched from
a caravan to a motor home and would like to make any comments.

How do you manage on site when you need to get out to the shops or go
touring around?

Badly with a motor home and one of the reasons for our decision to change.
With the caravan and standard size tow car it was like being set free + you
can explore more off the beaten track places.

We have a Hobby van and were thinking of switching to the self propelled
version which has a Fiat Engine. Has anyone any experience of Hobby Motor
Homes or any comments to make about the Fiat engine?

You will even find an MOT less straightforward ..... height not compatible
with many MOT sites.

Richard

Old May 26th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"jim.johnson" wrote in message
I know this is not the group for this inquiry, but has anyone switched from
a caravan to a motor home and would like to make any comments.

How do you manage on site when you need to get out to the shops or go
touring around?

We went from caravan to motorhome a couple of years ago and with 2 youngish
kids, both of us in full time jobs and using it mainly for weekends/single
nights away it beats the caravan hands down. Insuring it costs less than
the car (300 pa comprehensive) and fuel consumption is similar to a car +
caravan. For convenience and speed of getting away it's much quicker, setup
on site or wherever you go is also much quicker, switch off the engine,
press the button to extend the step and it's done. If you arrive somewhere
late just climb in the bunks and sleep. Cycles are quickly attached to the
integral rack, waters already on board and waste takes a few days before it
needs emptying.

The big downside is not having a car to tour around in while you're away.
It's not the hassle of packing up cos there is none, lock the fridge, wind
in the awning and drive off. What you get fed up with is driving a big
motor around country lanes and hunting
for big, safe parking spaces, bearing in mind that it's easy to break into
it and even the dimmest thief realises that there's a good chance a
motorhome in a holiday area has got some good stuff on board. This only
really comes to the fore when away
for a couple of weeks but as we only do that once a year we can live with it
because of how easy/possible it makes all the shorter trips throughout the
rest of the year. Once we're too old and crotchety to ride push bikes, when
the kids stop coming on hols with us or when we both stop working full time
we will most probably go back to a caravan but while time's tight and
convenience is essential we'll stick with the camper. It's also good for
daytrips from home to the seaside or wherever, you can arrive early, have
all your food with you, have a shower
or whatever and drive home after the crowds.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 26th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

jim.johnson came up with the following;:
I know this is not the group for this inquiry, but has anyone switched
from a caravan to a motor home and would like to make any comments.

We borrowed a motorhome from friends for a few weeks but couldn't get on
with it for the things we use a 'van for. Too tied to a campsite,
everything needs unpacking and packing everytime we needed to 'nip to the
shops' which is invariably a drive, not a walk, away when we use the 'van.

How do you manage on site when you need to get out to the shops or go
touring around?

We ended up not bothering trying to tour the area, 'cept on foot and cycle.

However, we use our 'van differently to most people in that it's a 'pits'
for our racing activities, a race-control shack, and a general doss area for
friends and other racers. We take bikes with us and are often in a field
across a few fields and away from roads, often only using field and forestry
tracks, hence we also tow and use a lot, a 4x4 vehicle. There was also a
lot less available space for our 'stuff'. The awning with it wasn't as
large as our usual one, there wasn't any extra storage space, there was
little flexibility of eating / sleeping / resting arrangements and no
facility to carry the 'stuff' we use for our hobby without it getting in the
way of passengers and being a potential hazard in the event of an accident.

The idea of the passengers, our children mostly, sitting sideways on didn't
inspire confidence, especially as they come with us every trip.

We liked the idea of a motorhome, hence the loan, but having tried one, it
simply didn't suit us at all. I'd suggest you loan one, even if only for a
day, and plan a trip to use it just as you might your caravan, see how you
fare before parting with the money.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 26th 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

How do you manage on site when you need to get out to the shops or go
touring around?
We have a Hobby van and were thinking of switching to the self propelled

version which has a Fiat Engine. Has anyone any experience of Hobby Motor
Homes or any comments to make about the Fiat engine?

You could ask the same question on uk.rec.motorhomes. Hobby is good (but you
already know that).
We had a Ford Dormobile caravanette many years ago and loved it. Have done
2000 miles with a large motorhome through British Columbia, Idaho (it was
shut) & Washington too.
On the road, the motorhome is best. High driving position, see much more of
the world-over the hedges and all.
Stuck in a traffic jam, brew up and have a snack. Use the loo if necessary.
One can be snoozing in bed whilst the other drives.
Big motorhomes (like our North American TripleE) have tremendous carrying
capacity, some with low side lockers like on fire engines. Full size fridge,
freezer, kitchen equipment, shower, toilet. King size beds. Big onboard
fresh water tanks.
Some have ladders to the roof where you can set up picnic chairs to watch
the racing etc, whilst sipping champagne.
The VW camper size dormobile was fun but needed a separate large frame tent
for easy camplife.
Some tow a small car behind-but if you have to tow you may as well have a
car and caravan.
Setting up on site is more tricky than a caravan, especially if on a
slope-all those wheels to get level.
You must get all main shopping done on the way to the site -sufficent for
your stay. Otherwise pay over the odds at campsite shops with less choice,
or scrounge a lift to the shops or use buses or taxis, if there are any.
When you go out for a ride, everything must be packed away. On return you
have the hassle of levelling again.
Sightseeing can be difficult- underground and multi storey car parks no
access and height barriers on others. You don't go exploring narrow lanes in
mountainous areas either.
DaveK.

Old May 26th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
jim.johnson came up with the following;:

We borrowed a motorhome from friends for a few weeks but couldn't get on
with it for the things we use a 'van for. Too tied to a campsite,
everything needs unpacking and packing everytime we needed to 'nip to the
shops' which is invariably a drive, not a walk, away when we use the 'van.

This depends on the type of camper you used. We did loads of research and
got one with a fixed overcab bed for us and two fixed bunks across the back
for the kids. Then, provided you usually wash up anyway after meals, if you
want to go anywhere, the only thing that needs doing is locking the fridge.
That's part of the appeal, it takes just a few seconds to get up and go.

We ended up not bothering trying to tour the area, 'cept on foot and
cycle.

What we've found is that if we do intend tour the area, not being tied to
one campsite is a big bonus. You'll find yourself camping all over the
place, beaches, pubs, parks etc. If it gets late you just stay out, no
trying to get back or haggling with the wife about who's going to drink and
who's going to drive.

There was also a lot less available space for our 'stuff'.

Again, it's back to researching what you need before buying. Ours has got a
large garage at the back, big enough to get a decent sized motorbike/scooter
in. As it is we just keep everything in there we ever need when we're away,
inflatable boats, life jackets, body boards, tents, fold up table, tools,
toys etc etc. It's the storeage that's a large part of the convenience.
You don't have to pack all this stuff in the car boot when you go away, it's
always there.

The awning with it wasn't as large as our usual one, there wasn't any
extra storage space, there was little flexibility of eating / sleeping /
resting arrangements and no facility to carry the 'stuff' we use for our
hobby without it getting in the way of passengers and being a potential
hazard in the event of an accident.

The idea of the passengers, our children mostly, sitting sideways on
didn't inspire confidence, especially as they come with us every trip.

Research again, this bothered us so we bought a vehicle with the travelling
seats facing fore and aft and all with full seatbelts.

We liked the idea of a motorhome, hence the loan, but having tried one, it
simply didn't suit us at all. I'd suggest you loan one, even if only for
a day, and plan a trip to use it just as you might your caravan, see how
you fare before parting with the money.

Good advice, but decide first all the things you want then rent one with
those features. One point worth adding, unless you only do longish holidays
in one place you wont use it like a caravan and for that purpose alone a
caravan is better. You'll find the way you approach daytrips is different,
if you go out on a Saturday, stay later than expected and fancy a beer, just
don't come home til the next day.

You can become quite itinerant, even pikey like.

Rgds

Andy R