Vauxhall Omega Auto Gearbox

Old May 29th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

Default Vauxhall Omega Auto Gearbox

Has anyone any experience of Auto gearbox failure on this car due to gearbox
overheating/lack of additional radiator (whilst towing) to cool the
transmission fluid ?
I am wondering whether to fit the Kenlow unit but is it really necessary ?
I have the 2.5V6 Omega auto.
Advice would be appreciated.
P.G.

Old May 29th 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Phil" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience of Auto gearbox failure on this car due to
gearbox
overheating/lack of additional radiator (whilst towing) to cool the
transmission fluid ?
I am wondering whether to fit the Kenlow unit but is it really necessary ?
I have the 2.5V6 Omega auto.
Advice would be appreciated.

I owned a (P reg) 2.0 litre auto Omega for 2.5 years and never had any
trouble with gearbox overheating while towing. Although I never had any
gearbox problems while towing with the Omega - I did have loads and loads
and loads of other problems - in fact it was undoubtedly the most unreliable
car I have ever owned. It would be simpler to create a list of things that
*didn't* go wrong - rather than the other way around! I was glad to see the
back of it.

Kev

Old May 29th 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
RADIOTWO

Hi Phil

You don't say what year, but my Dad had a P reg (1996) I think and that had
a cooler fitted as standard It uses part of the engine radiator, just look
at the left-hand side of the radiator (as you look at the car from the
front) and you should see two pipes from the radiator down to the gearbox.

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

"Phil" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience of Auto gearbox failure on this car due to
gearbox
overheating/lack of additional radiator (whilst towing) to cool the
transmission fluid ?
I am wondering whether to fit the Kenlow unit but is it really necessary ?
I have the 2.5V6 Omega auto.
Advice would be appreciated.
P.G.

I have a P reg. 2.5V6 petrol auto which I've owned for 4 years. Absolutely
no problem with overheating of the gearbox as there is a gearbox oil cooler
built into the radiator.
I have towed our old Elddis Hurricane up some very steep hills in Wales with
no bother at all. Our new 'van is 300kg heavier than the Elddis and the car
still handles it easily, though we've not been over any great accents with
it yet.
Surprisingly, our Omega has been very reliable compared to others
experiences with them. We must have got the good one.

Graham

Old May 29th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

Thanks for the helpful comments , I did not appreciate that my '98 model
already had a cooler built in.I checked as suggested and found it. This
seems to conflict with Kenlow's advertising in the Caravan club magazine.
regards to all
Phil

?

Old June 6th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

Mine is fine, no extra cooler required

Mine is also reliable!