towing with a Roof Box

Old May 31st 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
craig

Default towing with a Roof Box

just curious, I have a roof box for my car, is it better to load up the van
or use the roof box and boot to keep the van lighter.

will the aerodynamics of the box affect the van

regards
Craig

Old May 31st 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

just curious, I have a roof box for my car, is it better to load up the
van
or use the roof box and boot to keep the van lighter.

Put as much in the car as possible, rather than the van. Make the van light
as possible, but carefully loaded to give optimum downforce on the tow bar.

Check your vehicle's roof loading capacity. Many are limited in capacity.
Most roof boxes are best for high volume, low mass luggage.

Don't exceed your car's MAM, the caravans maximum weight, the maximum
combined weight of both (often called maximum train weight), the roof
weight well below the empty weight of the towing vehicle, unless you know
what you're doing.

Christian.

Old May 31st 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"craig" wrote in message
k...
just curious, I have a roof box for my car, is it better to load up the
van or use the roof box and boot to keep the van lighter.

will the aerodynamics of the box affect the van

It doesn't affect our dynamics.

When we take the caravan or trailer tent we're not conventionally camping,
rather we're attending events as mediaeval traders and we have a lot of
heavy stuff to carry. Our wooden chests of goods and the hens with their
coop go in the back of the Laguna estate. All stuff for camping, including
food and gas, go in the 'van or trailer. The top box - a full width one -
contains skins, period clothing and shelving.

I sometimes wonder if the deflection of air by the top box is an advantage
in that there's a vortex by the time it meets the van.

But we never break the speed limits and more often than not are travelling
on single carriageways.

Mary

regards
Craig

Old May 31st 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rooney

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:17:50 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

we're attending events as mediaeval traders

By car!!?? You should be pulling the van by horse!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old May 31st 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

wrote:

we're attending events as mediaeval traders

By car!!?? You should be pulling the van by horse!

Oxen. Believe me, I'd love to turn up like that ... but we don't have the
land in inner city Leeds to keep any animals except two banties and getting
to, say, Traquair (as we did on Friday), would take more than the five hours
we did it by car :-(

Mary