Newbie Advice needed ;-)

Old May 31st 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DNS

Default Newbie Advice needed ;-)

Ok - here goes!

Sorry if this is all common knowledge, but the whole Caravanning thing is a
bit of a mystery to me.

Basically we've grown out of camping so the five of us (me 'n' her plus the
three kids) want a 5 berth 'van...

Basic 'must have's' a- hot & cold water, fridge, cooker, shower, awning
plus annexe... Any suggestions as to the things that really matter?

And what are the biggest pitfalls? Are dealers any good?

Anyway, we've been looking at eBay (aaargh!) and also a few web sites and
are really lost.

The towing vehicle is a 1995 Defender 110 and the budget is around 3000.

Any suggestions about anything (relevant!) much appreciated.

TIA,

David.

Old May 31st 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:10:37 +0000 (UTC), DNS wrote:
Ok - here goes!

Sorry if this is all common knowledge, but the whole Caravanning thing is a
bit of a mystery to me.

Basically we've grown out of camping so the five of us (me 'n' her plus the
three kids) want a 5 berth 'van...

Basic 'must have's' a- hot & cold water, fridge, cooker, shower, awning
plus annexe... Any suggestions as to the things that really matter?

And what are the biggest pitfalls? Are dealers any good?

Anyway, we've been looking at eBay (aaargh!) and also a few web sites and
are really lost.

The towing vehicle is a 1995 Defender 110 and the budget is around 3000.

Any suggestions about anything (relevant!) much appreciated.

David.

For a starter, take a look at the FAQs on my website.
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk, especially the pages starting from
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara...faqnewvan0.htm

Richard
(ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
- 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett

Old May 31st 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"DNS" wrote in message
Ok - here goes!

Sorry if this is all common knowledge, but the whole Caravanning thing is

bit of a mystery to me.

Basically we've grown out of camping so the five of us (me 'n' her plus

the
three kids) want a 5 berth 'van...

Basic 'must have's' a- hot & cold water, fridge, cooker, shower, awning
plus annexe... Any suggestions as to the things that really matter?

And what are the biggest pitfalls? Are dealers any good?

Anyway, we've been looking at eBay (aaargh!) and also a few web sites and
are really lost.

The towing vehicle is a 1995 Defender 110 and the budget is around 3000.

Any suggestions about anything (relevant!) much appreciated.

TIA,

David.

Tow vehicle is not a problem, will pull around 3.5 tonnes from memory,
enough to tow any normal van.

The three things to look out for are, damp, damp and errr damp.

At 3000 and wanting 5 berths with hot water there are going to be damp
issues. You may get a 7 or 8 year old van with a damp history that may have
been sealed and dried but with staining on the wallboard. As long as you
know that is what you are looking at and you don't pay an inflated price it
will give many happy years holidays.

Beware vans that look immaculate, check very carefully.

Cheers

Old May 31st 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"David @ Home" wrote in message

At 3000 and wanting 5 berths with hot water there are going to be damp
issues.

Not necessarily. It depends on how well the previous owners have ventilated.

I think David's talking from unhappy personal experience, it's not
universal.

Mary

Old May 31st 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David @ Home" wrote in message

At 3000 and wanting 5 berths with hot water there are going to be damp
issues.

Not necessarily. It depends on how well the previous owners have

ventilated.

I think David's talking from unhappy personal experience, it's not
universal.

Mary

no I think David's talking from a lot more experience than that....

I wish I had a Landrover, they make wonderfull tow vehicles, Towed with an
old Range rover many years ago, a ton of caravan on the back and you did not
even know it was there!

As for things 'must have' you've covered most of them and coming from
camping you will have all the necessities sorted. and whatever you think of
now after a while there will be something else you want.....

Des

Old May 31st 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:14:20 GMT, "Des"
wrote:

I think David's talking from unhappy personal experience, it's not
universal.

Mary

no I think David's talking from a lot more experience than that....

[email protected] is David Halley of Halley caravans and has a lot more
experience than most of us could ever acquire. The advice he gave was
very sound, as always.

(remove the spam to reply)