Another nose weight question

Old June 1st 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harpic

Default Another nose weight question

Advice sought from the more experienced towers

Reading CC information I get somewhat confused regarding nose weight.

It states at one point that the nose weight should be as close as possible
to the tow vehicle maximum limit.

(Towing with a Discovery, Tow ball weight limit 250 kg)

At another point It states the maximum nose weight should be about 7% of the
caravan weight.

(Calculated figure 87.5 kg)

The info with my Caravan states

Max Permitted Nose Load 75 kg

Approx. Ex-Works Unladen Weight 964 kg

Max Authorised Weight 1250 kg

Is the Caravan spec figure an absolute, or will this be based on most tow
vehicles having a limit of 75 kg ?

TIA

Gerry

Old June 1st 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Harpic" wrote in message
Advice sought from the more experienced towers

Reading CC information I get somewhat confused regarding nose weight.

It states at one point that the nose weight should be as close as possible
to the tow vehicle maximum limit.

Which it should be - so long as that figure does not exceed the nose weight
limit imposed by the chassis manufacturer!

(Towing with a Discovery, Tow ball weight limit 250 kg)

At another point It states the maximum nose weight should be about 7% of
the caravan weight.

(Calculated figure 87.5 kg)

Again - that's right, so long as the calculated figure does not exceed
either the caravan's or the tow car's nose weight limits.

The info with my Caravan states

Max Permitted Nose Load 75 kg

Approx. Ex-Works Unladen Weight 964 kg

Max Authorised Weight 1250 kg

Is the Caravan spec figure an absolute, or will this be based on most tow
vehicles having a limit of 75 kg ?

This is the figure that the chassis manufacturer (Al-Ko?) states is the
maximum nose load that should be applied to the tow-hitch.

I haven't looked at the CC advice closely myself but I would argue that all
recommendations *must* be subject to the maximum limits imposed by both the
car and the caravan (chassis) manufacturers. Try to get as close as possible
to the lowest maximum figure - eg, if the 7% figure is 88 Kg, the car
nose-weight limit is 65 Kg and the caravan nose-weight limit is 75 Kg - then
try to achieve as close as possible to 65 Kg.

My car (Rover 75 Tourer) has a fairly high Noseweight limit of 100 Kgs but
the caravan limit is 75 Kg. I try to get as close as possible to 75.

Kev

Old June 1st 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

It states at one point that the nose weight should be as close as possible
to the tow vehicle maximum limit.

That recommendation is a gross simplication that often applies because cars
have low tow ball weight limits. It does NOT apply to Land Rovers!

At another point It states the maximum nose weight should be about 7% of

the
caravan weight.

The info with my Caravan states

Max Permitted Nose Load 75 kg
Is the Caravan spec figure an absolute, or will this be based on most tow
vehicles having a limit of 75 kg ?

What you do is aim for 7%. However, you MUST NOT exceed either the car or
caravan maximum limit. If the 7% says 87kg and either the car or trailer is
limited to 75kg, you use 75kg.

Christian.

Old June 1st 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Guest

Hi Gerry,

Go by the caravan if the max is 75 kgs on the "A" fram,

I would be looking for 65kgs to 70kgs (max),

Its the load on the "A" fram you have to watch,

My car is up to 2000kgs kerb weight and the max on the car towball is
100kgs,
my Caravan (max) 80kgs on the "A" fram so i look for about 65kgs to 75 kgs
(max),

Its how you load your caravan you have to watch out for that you do not go
over your Max Authorised Weight of 1250 kgs,
If it is a new caravan weigh all the things you are putting in to it and
keep all the heavy thing over the axle (middle of the van) =? + the weight
of your van unload,
(Unladen Weight 964 kg)
then it is 286kgs max for goods = 286kgs + 964kgs = 1250kgs (max) and 286kgs
for your goods,
Always go by your caravan hand book,

Hope this help you and happy caravanning,
from John.

Old June 1st 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:20:02 +0100, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

| "Harpic" wrote in message
| Advice sought from the more experienced towers
|

| Reading CC information I get somewhat confused regarding nose weight.
|

| It states at one point that the nose weight should be as close as possible
| to the tow vehicle maximum limit.
|
| Which it should be - so long as that figure does not exceed the nose weight
| limit imposed by the chassis manufacturer!
|
| (Towing with a Discovery, Tow ball weight limit 250 kg)
|

| At another point It states the maximum nose weight should be about 7% of
| the caravan weight.
|
| (Calculated figure 87.5 kg)
|
| Again - that's right, so long as the calculated figure does not exceed
| either the caravan's or the tow car's nose weight limits.
|

| The info with my Caravan states
|

| Max Permitted Nose Load 75 kg
|
| Approx. Ex-Works Unladen Weight 964 kg
|
| Max Authorised Weight 1250 kg
|

| Is the Caravan spec figure an absolute, or will this be based on most tow
| vehicles having a limit of 75 kg ?
|
| This is the figure that the chassis manufacturer (Al-Ko?) states is the
| maximum nose load that should be applied to the tow-hitch.
|
| I haven't looked at the CC advice closely myself but I would argue that all
| recommendations *must* be subject to the maximum limits imposed by both the
| car and the caravan (chassis) manufacturers. Try to get as close as possible
| to the lowest maximum figure - eg, if the 7% figure is 88 Kg, the car
| nose-weight limit is 65 Kg and the caravan nose-weight limit is 75 Kg - then
| try to achieve as close as possible to 65 Kg.

A low nose weight is a bad idea. It affects towing stability.
A negative noseweight is very bad.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Beware of anyone posting X-No-Archive yes,
Old June 1st 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 1st 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harpic

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies.

Now I know for certain