waste of time

Old June 1st 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

Default waste of time

well im done here....arses like phil do annoy me and i wont sit and read the
nonsense he writes, ok he is only a boy....but a bloody annoying one...what
a waste of time

Bob.

Old June 2nd 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:49:28 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

well im done here....arses like phil do annoy me and i wont sit and read the
nonsense he writes, ok he is only a boy....but a bloody annoying one...what
a waste of time

Bob.

You don't need to, filter out all those messages that are crossposted
and you get the caravanning messages only. It's nearly 18 months since
I followed advice from here and installed newsproxy on my machine

I posted the following in January 2004, it still applies

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

or http://www.nfilter.org/download.html

If you have any trouble with downloading this program send me a mail
and I will forward a working copy to you.

This is much easier to see what you are doing with it. To set it up to get rid of all the croos posts that have been arriving in this group for the past 48 hours or so ( I've not seen them but I know they have been there ) just look on the edit menu and edit filters by placing the following line at the bottom of the file.

uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*

In addition as I use Agent all I needed to do was to copy the name of the newserver I use into the relevant place on the networks tab of the newsproxy configuration section ( on the edit menu ) and then change the newserver in my copy of Agent to localhost. result not one piece of rubbish received since christmas. I see the number of headers that are available when Agent logs in and then compare it with the number of messages that it actually downloads and the difference is the rubbish. I know that last night it offered me something like 350 messages of which my setup only downloaded about 50 all relevant and all about caravans.

The following was posted in December about how to set it up to use in OE. The relevant thread is 2Filtering using OE and newsproxy "

2.1 How do I install nfilter?
Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using
InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run
the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.

For most purposes, the only information you need to change in the
configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has
automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select
"programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before you
use NewsProxy you should confired the name of your news server in the
configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (eg. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote
server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different
local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6

Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..

Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab, enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but
keep 'log on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the
standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host
name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',
which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

my thanks again to Dave Fawthrop for suggesting newsproxy in the first place and to Ian D for giving me a slightly different slant.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old June 2nd 05, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Die scum

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:36:13 +0100, bill lord
wrote:

I followed advice from here and installed newsproxy on my machine

Who cares if you install newsproxy on your machine?

Ask Fawthrop and uk.local.yorkshire if installing newsproxy helps.

Old June 3rd 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Why not just kill-file him. You will not see his drivel after that.

All the best, Peter.

Old June 4th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil Kyle

"Peter K L Milnes" verbally sodomised
in :

"Bob" wrote in message
well im done here....arses like phil do annoy me and i wont sit and
read the nonsense he writes, ok he is only a boy....but a bloody
annoying one...what a waste of time

Bob.

Charming.

--