Vetcra Maximum Towing Weight

Old June 2nd 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default Vetcra Maximum Towing Weight

Hi

We're looking to buy our first Carvan and we're getting conflicting messages
about what the maximum weight we can tow. We'll be getting a Vauxhall Vectra
1.8L petrol/LPG in September. The Vauxhall website states that the
Kerbweight is 1379. Based on this 85% would allow us to only pull a van of
1172.15kg. However the website says the maximum towing weight of a trailer
with brakes is 1400kg.

Can anyone maximum Van weight we should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Mike Edwards

Old June 2nd 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

Mike wrote:
Hi

We're looking to buy our first Carvan and we're getting conflicting messages
about what the maximum weight we can tow. We'll be getting a Vauxhall Vectra
1.8L petrol/LPG in September. The Vauxhall website states that the
Kerbweight is 1379. Based on this 85% would allow us to only pull a van of
1172.15kg. However the website says the maximum towing weight of a trailer
with brakes is 1400kg.

Can anyone maximum Van weight we should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Mike Edwards

as a new tower you should restrict the caravan weight to 85% of the cars
unladen weight, if you were very experienced you could go to 100% of
unladen weight. It would not be safe to attempt to tow on the open road
at the quoted figure, it is the maximum that can be towed
mechanically, ie before damage occurs to the tow car ie if you were
moving a caravan on private ground at low speed or perhaps towing a
disabled car on it's 4 wheels. if you tried to tow a trailer at 1400Kg
on the open road you would suffer severe stability problems. You would
need to go for a maximum of 1172 Kg laden weight or thereabouts. hope
this helps. martin

Old June 2nd 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

We'll be getting a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8L petrol/LPG in September. The
Vauxhall website states that the Kerbweight is 1379. Based on this 85%
would allow us to only pull a van of 1172.15kg. However the website
says the maximum towing weight of a trailer with brakes is 1400kg.

1400kg is the legal limit, which is declared by the vehicle manufacturer and
tested during the vehicle type testing phase.

1172kg is the suggested limit for additional safety and stability whilst
cruising. It is a recommendation without legal force, but very recommended
for those without considerable towing experience.

Another recommendation occassionally heard is to tow up to 100% of the empty
weight, which usually works out not a million miles from 85% of the kerb
weight. This version has some legal justification, as it is the maximum
weight that may be towed by a 'B' only licence holder whilst in the UK
(provided the total is less than 3500kg). Outside the UK* or to tow larger
trailers, you need 'B+E', which requires an additional driving test.

Christian.

* I'm not sure about the restriction to drive inside the UK. I might be
imagining it.

Old June 2nd 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we can't look at the any of the Bailey
Pageant range we were hoping to go for.

Can anyone recommend any alternative four berths or do we need to completely
re-think?

t...

Old June 2nd 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Mike" wrote in :

Can anyone recommend any alternative four berths or do we need to
completely re-think?

Two approaches here - and older 'van or a lightweight newer one.

Older 'vans tend to be lighter because they've got fewer gadgets. For
example, my 1990-ish Jubilee Ambassador has an 1150 kg MTPLM and would be
suitable for your car. However, it hasn't got a cassette loo, blown-air
heating, and oven, etc. of the modern equivalent, which has an MTPLM of
about 1400 kg.

Some of the Lunars are lightweight enough for you. The 2000 4-berth Solar
Eclipse has an MTPLM of 1200 kg, with a payload of 285 kg. If you don't
load it up to the limit, you could easily get that 'van down to your 1172
kg 85% match. The 2002 model has a smaller payload, but you can still
have over 200 kg and stay within 85% of kerbweight. That said, a
lightweight 'van may not be as durable.

Take a look through http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vandata.htm - an
excellent resource that gives weights and layouts for many caravans.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK