Taking on a van in need of TLC

Old June 2nd 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tox O'Grady

Default Taking on a van in need of TLC

Hi all,
I'm a newbie on the lookout for a very cheap 5 berth caravan 1990+. I need
all the usual extras like awning , hot water , 3-way fridge, carver thingy
& oven etc.
I'm reasonably okay at household/automotive repair jobs and prepared to take
on a van which might need a little TLC.

Trawling through this NG it seems the main curse of caravans is damp &
delaminating floors.

I'd like to know if anyone has any good links to galleries & forums showing
repairs being done ( eg like the old Haynes manuals used to show a car body
being filled & sprayed )

My brief understanding of van construction is that the panels are wood
frames with kinda' cladded boards, i.e ally skin/poly-foam middle/plyboard
inner.

I've seen a van going cheap in Ebay with the enclosed shower room picture :
http://tinyurl.com/eymkv

I'd like to know from you guys whether this means its an instant write-off,
or a few days work....

1. Can the interior panels/end trim for kitchen/shower/bedroom spaces be
purchased in sheets? How much?, where?
2. Do the moldy panels come off from the foam with a bit of careful work
with a Stanley knife?
3. Can the new one be bonded on with liberal amounts of 'No More Nails'
glue?.

I know there's a big chance the above will stimulate some condesending
the extents people will go to repair. If I can change engines ,clutches etc
and fit bathroom suites & kitchens, then just how difficult is stripping out
parts of a van. Various posts suggest the main cost of repairs is the man
hours. Nothing I've seen suggests theat the repairs are impossible to Joe
Public due to special tooling etc.

Old June 2nd 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

:
[...]

You can get a Haynes caravan manual.

Here is a pretty heavy duty repair project. He also limks to a couple of
others.

http://www.alanparkers.dsl.pipex.com/

Neb

Old June 2nd 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Nebulous" wrote in message

Here is a pretty heavy duty repair project. He also limks to a couple of
others.

http://www.alanparkers.dsl.pipex.com/

That is an EXCELLENT site. I wish we'd recorded our rebuilds as well as he
did.

Mary

Neb

Old June 5th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Anne

Don't know if this is any help
http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...lay?catalogId=
10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10148&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10007&top_
category=10007
Anne

Old June 6th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Ive re skinned a '81 Lunar and its can be unpleasant as the damp inner skin
can be MINGING!!!! It is, after all, rotting wood. I used a 2" chisel as a
scraper to get it off & cut new panels from a sheet of marine ply. I left
it for nearly a week with a fan heater inside and a window open a crack to
try & dry things out before I started to replace the skin.

You'll need to be an expert to get it to look like new again. Mine doesn't,
but after 2 winters outside it's still bone dry.........

Old June 6th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
Ive re skinned a '81 Lunar and its can be unpleasant as the damp inner
skin
can be MINGING!!!!

That's a matter of opinion.

We've done two and it wasn't at all unpleasant. Rotten wood isn't a problem.

Mary