Use of "Milton" in flushing tank

Old June 3rd 05, 04:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default Use of "Milton" in flushing tank

I've added baby bottle sterilising fluid to the flush water of my cassette
toilet as it seems prone to getting little black bits in it. Now I'm
wondering if I need to drain it completely before using it again in case of
reaction between it and Aquakem in the holding tank???

Old June 3rd 05, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:42:43 GMT, "Keith Dunbar \(2\)"
wrote:

| I've added baby bottle sterilising fluid to the flush water of my cassette
| toilet as it seems prone to getting little black bits in it. Now I'm
| wondering if I need to drain it completely before using it again in case of
| reaction between it and Aquakem in the holding tank???

We used to have the black bits problem, but no more. I think the latest
version of _Thetford_ Pink flushing liquid has cured it.

The black bits are ?algae? and to kill all of it you need to wet all of the
tank. pump, and everything with "Perclean", otherwise it comes back.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Beware of anyone posting X-No-Archive yes,
Old June 3rd 05, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 3rd 05, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Keith Dunbar (2)" wrote in message
I've added baby bottle sterilising fluid to the flush water of my cassette
toilet as it seems prone to getting little black bits in it. Now I'm
wondering if I need to drain it completely before using it again in case
of reaction between it and Aquakem in the holding tank???

A couple of years ago I wrote to Thetford because of this problem of black
gunge infecting the flushing water. They advised me, as you have done, to
add some form of sterilising solution to the tank, leave for a day or so and
then flush through with fresh water. Keep doing this until there are no
traces of the gunge remaining. Then continue as normal. The problem has
never recurred for me! I always now fully drain down the flushing tank in
between trips away.

Kev

Old June 3rd 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

I'd be inclined to drain and re-fill it as it's so easy to do, although with
that level of dilution it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it..
I had this algae problem when using the aquachem, but I decided to buy the
Elsan double pack simply because it works out cheaper and since using it
I've have had no problem at all, and I always keep the tank full.