Sealing Round Alarm Siren, Rich Mover Cabling and controler box

Old June 3rd 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default Sealing Round Alarm Siren, Rich Mover Cabling and controler box

We collected our new van last week. The dealer had fitted an alarm and Rich
Mover. The former has a siren through the floor. From the underside you can
see there is a gap round this and the floor, you can see the insulation. I
can't see why there shouldn't be a sealant filling the gap between siren and
floor. Will doing this affect the sound? (Have tried contacting the alarm
supplier but no joy).
The Rich mover fitting is a mess, the instructions say to keep the cables
separate but they are taped together and all come out through one hole. The
hole looks as if some one used a cold chisel to create it with a lot of ply
splintered off. This is open and clearly must be sealed (as instructions
said should have been done). I have three queries, the wood needs treating
(its got some black paint over it where they didn't do any thing) what do
you use for this? The caravan is a German one using black sealant, again
what should be used? The last question concerns the controller box, this is
perched at the end of the cables and not secured to any thing. It is near to
the battery box, I was thinking of using the strong Velcro to attach it to
the box, will that do it?

Before some one says about taking it back the dealer is a long way off and I
wouldn't trust them to do it!

Old June 3rd 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

When I installed my Reich mover I passed the cables through one of the floor
vents which is much easier than drilling holes, but I don't recall my
instructions saying anything about keeping the cables separate. I can't see
what that would achieve and it would seem a bit silly running the cables all
separately under the van.
As regards the box, it doesn't matter how you fix it, just keep the aerial
wire away from the power cables.
news

Old June 4th 05, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Thanks, I haven't checked the aerial. The instructions now say" install the
+ an - cables separately, with a space between them" I think this is as
bundled cables create heat and lose power much more rapidly than those at a
lower temperature. When rewiring our boat I found there were many formulas
for cable size and proximity to one another was a significant factor in
which size needed to be used.

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
When I installed my Reich mover I passed the cables through one of the
floor vents which is much easier than drilling holes, but I don't recall
my instructions saying anything about keeping the cables separate. I can't
see what that would achieve and it would seem a bit silly running the
cables all separately under the van.
As regards the box, it doesn't matter how you fix it, just keep the aerial
wire away from the power cables.
news