Motor caravan awnings on caravans.

Old August 8th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Allan

Default Motor caravan awnings on caravans.

Has anyone had the experience of fitting a motor caravan awning such
as a Fiamma or Omnistore to a caravan?

Does this make it unstable?

I have heard rumours of Fiamma being difficult for parts. Any comments?
--
James Allen

Old August 9th 03, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gill107

"James Allan" wrote in message
Has anyone had the experience of fitting a motor caravan awning such
as a Fiamma or Omnistore to a caravan?

Does this make it unstable?

I have heard rumours of Fiamma being difficult for parts. Any comments?
--
James Allen

-------------------------------------
A friend of ours has a Fiamma Caravanstore mounted in the normal caravan
awning channel and is delighted with the instant availability and ease of
extending it.

Extended it looks similar to the normal motorhome awning but without the
metal housing and mechanical winding in/out gear so obviously much lighter.
They come in various lengths.
www.fiamma.com

We have still got one 2.8m long which extends 2.55m and weighs 8.5kg which
we used on our previous motorhome so can vouch for the ease of use. This was
about 150ukp so significantly cheaper than the full mechanical awning. If
you don't think you are likely to use it on a particular trip it can be
easily removed.

If anyone is interested in buying ours, by the way, we are in
Leicestershire!

Gillian

Old August 9th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"gill107" wrote in message

[...]

I stand corrected although I don't like the idea of carrying a load at
awning rail height on a van. But looking at Fiamma's site they refer to it
as a bag awning - does that mean it is stored off the van when travelling or
in a bag which is zipped on the awning rail when the awning is folded or
rolled up?

Old August 9th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"gill107" wrote in message

[...]

James to the second part of your question, Fiamma don't seem to possess a UK
subsidiary which means that you are in the hands of the individual dealers
(who they refer to as partners in their web site) who act as importers
buying kit directly from Fiamma in Italy. Sometimes this works well, but I
prefer it when there is a local subsidiary who can be moaned at if there are
any difficulties - the latter system also shows IMHO more commitment to athe
local market,

Old August 10th 03, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

In message , bowtiejim
writes

"James Allan" wrote in message
Has anyone had the experience of fitting a motor caravan awning such
as a Fiamma or Omnistore to a caravan?

Does this make it unstable?

Is this an accurate comment or hearsay?

Does anyone have the experience of fitting such a unit on a large
caravan?

I have heard rumours of Fiamma being difficult for parts. Any comments?
--
James Allen

Fitting a permanent awning to the side of a van is a bad idea. The total
weight of the awning may well prove a problem when loading the van and
placing it near the top of the van will cause the latter to become less
stable when towed.

I also wonder whether there is any underlying structure at the top of a vans
wall, excluding some coach built vans, to which you could safely attach the
awning.

--
Al Stevenson

Old August 10th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gill107

"gill107" wrote in message

Ok. I'll try to answer your questions.

For our redundant 2.8m caravanstore the bag is just about 2.9m long and

has
a depth of 14cm with awning zipped inside.
The bag is a permanent part of the awning and the top has beading (as any
awning) sewn along the length and the zip is the full length of the bottom
of the bag.
It needs a straight run of awning rail for mounting properly.

When ready for extending, the zip is fully opened exposing the awning hung
inside the bag and which is rolled up on a hollow roller which is the

front
of the awning when extended. To prevent it unrolling when the bag is
unzipped it is secured simply by 2 or 3 velcro 'ties' when it is rolled up
after use.

With 2 people, the velcro 'ties' are undone and the roller unrolled thus
exposing the awning.
When fully extended the legs/rafter supports which are housed inside the
hollow roller and permanently fastened to it are pulled out from both ends
and extended individually to support the 2 front corners and maintain the
anwning depth from the 'van.

-----------------------------------
Found this website which may add something to my description
http://www.frontier-leisure.co.uk/ma...ravanstore.htm

Gillian

Old August 11th 03, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"James Allan" wrote in message
Has anyone had the experience of fitting a motor caravan awning such
as a Fiamma or Omnistore to a caravan?

Does this make it unstable?

I have heard rumours of Fiamma being difficult for parts. Any comments?
--
James Allen

In Germany/Holland there are hundreds of vans with the bolted on variety.
Owners seem to think they are great especially for week ends but with the
side and front options then they make a reasonable full awning. One
manufacturer, not sure if it is Omnistor or Fiamma the sides have some kind
of clip that hold the side to the roof which seems not very good to me.
Seen some set slightly lower than the awning rail so you can fit a normal
awning over the top instead.

When it comes to weight a 3 m weighs in at 21 kgs. A mid range air con
comes in at 29kg but is more centrally mounted, hundreds of vans have
these - is it that important?

Did see a twin axil caravan with a huge omnistor on it and the side had
buckled and bent under the weight!

Paul