warning speed camera

Old August 8th 03, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

Default warning speed camera

"Not in my trousers" wrote in message

"Guy King" wrote in message
"Martin Imber" mumbled:

Gradients, speed creep ect easy to do if not concentrating so stop the
holier than though ****e

See, we keep coming back to concentration again. Most drivers find it
very hard to do.

Just out of interest guys...

How many miles do you drive every year on average? And do the drivers

who
drive most think they would be more likely to have broken the speed limit

at
some time?

Personally, I drive around 25K a year and think I would have been speeding
more than once.. :-)

I would guess the people who don't speed do less than 25miles per week..

Statistically, you would be more likely to exceed the speed limit if you
drove more, which would also make you a more experienced driver too (My
wifes car insurance went down significantly by adding me as a named driver
on her car insurance)

I will agree with the argument that speed is a significant factor in

causes
of RTAs, but I would more strongly argue that inexperience and other

factors
have more impact (excuse the pun). An experienced, proffessional driver
(traffic cop etc) driving at speed is safer than an inexperienced driver
driving within the preset legal limits... Take away the in-human face of
GATSO cameras and assess each case on its own.. Which is more

dangerous?
.. A traffic cop driving at 45mh through a quiet villiage or a

short-sighted
granny doing 25mph in the town centre without a clue where she is going? -
Both 30mph limits. Only one is exceeding the speed limit..

At an average of say 20K a year for just over 20 years, I may well have
covered almost half a million miles !! And have had 4 speeding tickets in
all that time.. When the 'short run to the shops' brigade get off thier
soapbox and have run up a similar distance without ever exceeding the

speed
limit then I may start listening to thier 'holier than thou' views...
Otherwise they are just adding unwanted noise into forum..

I have to agree mostly with what you are saying, although the 30mph through
most villages and built up areas is, in my opinion, important as I live in
such an area and at this time of year especially, there are tons of kids
roaming around with nothing better to do and they think it's jolly good fun
to ignore the paths and wander on and off the road. They don't differentiate
between a wise, experienced driver and a dickhead in his first car with the
stereo up full blast and doin 40 in a 30 to impress his blonde girlfriend.
Anyway, my argument is with the motorway speed limits. I think most people
will agree that 70 is pretty lame in this day and age, apart from when we
are towing of course!! And, as such, most coppers give plenty of slack with
what they consider speeding on the mway, but where do they/you/us draw the
line? My mate recently got 3 points and 60 quid for doin 82 on the mway. I
regularly do these kinds of speeds on the mway and find it incredibly
dangerous when about fifty cars suddenly slow down on the mway cos they spot
a copper ahead. All of a sudden everyone is doin 60 or 65. I find this FAR
more dangerous than doing 80mph on the mway.
Anyway, that's me. I'm off to Pembrey Country Park in South Wales on sunday
with the van on the back so it won't be an issue for me!
Happy vannin!
Gareth

Old August 8th 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

Anyway, that's me. I'm off to Pembrey Country Park in South Wales on

sunday
with the van on the back so it won't be an issue for me!
Happy vannin!

Gareth

Would be interested to know what you think of this site, I think it has been
uprated recently.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports